We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Student Install Question

dharma24

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm currently studying e course at university and my old PC has died. I'm going to purchase a new one next week (Windows 7 compatible) however it has no OS installed.

So i was wondering if i purchased Windows 7 via the student website, would i have to carry out a clean/custom install? Or do i need a copy of XP/Vista already running on my NEW pc.

Thank You

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

to be installed prior to the Windows 7 installation. Just go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. Then put the Windows 7 DVD in the drive, shut down your laptop and restart it.

The computer will boot into the DVD and the installer will start automatically - just follow the prompts.

Like this post
dharma24

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply, i just don't want to waste my money if it's an upgrade version. I can also opt for the Professional version with the disc.

I also asked this on the Windows 7 Answers site, and got this reply:

[url=click here]Windows 7 Student Offer Install Question[/url]

[I]"In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated. You cannot install an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive. The installation procedure does not ask you to insert a Windows disc in the drive for verification, the actual qualifying operating system must be installed. If you do not have a qualifying Windows operating system installed with a genuine license activated, then you cannot use
the upgrade version of Windows 7 - you would need a "full version" Windows 7 license.

In summary:

1. A qualifying Windows operating system must be installed.
2. The qualifying Windows operating system must have a genuine license (product key) and it must be activated.
3. To upgrade, boot to the qualifying Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade disc in the DVD drive.
4. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to initiate a clean install procedure."[/I]

Like this post
nigel-mercier

Likes # 0

>In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated.

This is BS, you can use an upgrade SKU to do a clean install. Just don't activate it when prompted, then re-install as an "upgrade" then activate.

Like this post
dharma24

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply, what exactly do you mean by "SKU"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes