We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win XP MCE to W 7

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have XP with MCE and use the TV bit sometimes. Q1. What extras are needed to run MCE on W7, (will my remote work, will Happuage tuner be ok)?
Q 2. My primary HD is partitioned (C:) about 50 Gig for programmes, system etc, and (F:) about 270 Gig for, basically, "My Documents" (Music, Photos etc- and, I notice, system restore). Can I just Format the C: Drive and keep the existing data on F: as it is? I will of course have back ups on external HD. Also, I believe Photoshop CS4 needs to be uninstalled prior to a format as it wont let you install if it thinks a licence is in use.Am thinking of using the 64 bit version.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks. Will ensure I buy the right version but am not sure if a "remote" for the TV is included.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks. I have a cloned (ATI) secondary slave disc, and a full back up image and copies of "My documents" on external drive of all data. I am considering, whilst getting used to W7, creating a third partition with XP on one and W7 on the other with a dual boot - any views? Not sure if programmes like Photoshop CS4 would "like" being on two MS versions on one computer.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and keep the existing data on F: as it is?"

Yes, as long as you ensure that you have an external back up of the files first. Windows 7 will install to your C drive,and you'll have access to your data files afterwards, but it still makes sense to be cautious.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

As far as I know higher versions of windows 7 have media centre biult in with a whole host of improvements and is backward compatable .

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I will raise this again in a month or so when the W7 is more in use.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS meant to say - assuming a clean reinstall of W7 Home Premium.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia