We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

90 day trial - activate later?

herbie53

Likes # 0

Hi,
I have Windows 7 Pro on preorder, if I download the 90 day trial of enterprise, can I select the Professional edition at install, wait 10 days then when my key comes register it and carry on indefinitely?

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

From the FAQs click here:

"Q: What happens after the trial-period expires?

A: If you wish to continue to use Windows 7 Enterprise please note that you will be required to purchase and perform a clean installation of Windows 7, including drivers and applications. Please keep this in mind; Windows 7 Enterprise is not available through retail channels."

So I guess the answer to your query is 'No'. G

Like this post
herbie53

Likes # 0

I don't think you have fully understood,
I am asking if this is the normal RTM image of Windows 7, meaning I can select the Professional edition at setup rather than enterprise.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

No, you will have to do a clean install of Professional. Enterprise is for businesses only, the 90 day trial is meant for businesses to evaluate not individuals.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is no.

Like this post
herbie53

Likes # 0

is rather condescending.

With the consumer editions of Windows 7, it is possible to choose which edition to install, and it seems from further research that the Enterprise disc is different from the consumer editions.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

you will need to do a clean install to change version.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you are referring to my response, you asked a question, and I answered it. There didn't seem much point in elaborating.

The answer to your question is still no, and will remain so, no matter how much a response is wrapped up. Consumer versions come individually on the DVD - you can't choose another version because it won't be on the disc.

Like this post
herbie53

Likes # 0

That's not entirely true, I'm pretty sure if a product key is not entered, the user is given the choice of which edition of Windows to install.

Like this post
JessicaD42

Likes # 0

Herbie53,

The product key is "baked in" for the Windows 7 Enterprise 90 day evaluation. You will not be able to select a specific version at install nor will you be able to wait on activation.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

"That's not entirely true, I'm pretty sure if a product key is not entered, the user is given the choice of which edition of Windows to install."

Thats not the case either. You have to remove a file found in the sources folder on Windows 7 disks to enable the Install routine to ask you which version of Windows 7 you want to install.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...