We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

clean install with only a upgrade disc

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

with only one optical drive, how would i do a clean install.

with upgrade versions i have always had a disc in each drive to be on hand if asked for prev disc.

or is there a way of doing a superfast switch over in the dvd drive.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I think you will find within hours of it being released there will be guides etc on how to do it.
If it can't be done there would be an outcry I'm sure.

Do you use Acronis ? or similar
I would just image your current set up onto the D partition and give it go.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

a major flaw seems to be, if I upgrade as w7 wants it will go ok. But if down the road a later date i need to do a reinstall i will need to put a basic copy of vista on first then w7 but i will not be able to activate vista as w7 kills the key during the original update. if you have no backup clone you in the mire.

thanks for the links

very surprised the upgrade procedure has not had more publicity will PCA TAKE THIS ONE UP WITH MS?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Have a look here,
click here

More here,
click here(05c4bdf5-5529-4826-a6ba-f5ea33011faf)&rn=Windows+7+Installation%2c+Setup%2c+and+Deployment+Forum

Lots of W7 help here,
click here

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Hi sunnystaines,
Remember I'm talking about Vista :)
The only difference between an upgrade DVD and a full retail was the license code that's attached to the Disk. That code once activated ties that copy of Vista (W7 ?) to the PC it's activated on.
The disk also has every version of windows on it, Home premium, basic, ultimate etc.

I take your point over needing an activated OS ?
Has that loophole been closed with W7 ?
click here

I had XP preinstalled on this laptop... no disks.

I ran the Vista upgrade (as intended 2.5 years ago) so yes, that would have given me a qualifying product.
And now I wanted a clean install.
I see what you mean :) so are you are going to have to do that first perhaps and upgrade Vista to W7 to first give you a qualifying product, and then reinstall W7 as a custom install and format the HDD from the windows disk as I mentioned.

Or maybe you don't even have to do that now.

Although thinking about, even with me with Vista (legal copy OEM... activated) to do a CLEAN install I have to use the double install method. That's because once you format the HDD from the Disk (and this is the order things happened with Vista) there is no qualifying product that your "new" Vista install sees (you just wiped it) so yes, it installs OK but it would not at that point allow validation if you tried because your code is for an "upgrade" and you haven't done that. So you run the thing again this time upgrading Vista to Vista and that's acceptable and gives you a 100% clean copy.

So has that workround been altered ? I'm sure if I were say to replace the HDD in this laptop (No OS ) it would let me succesfully reinstall using that method :)

I'm, sure once you have it in front of you it will all be easy.

I'll see if I can find anymore out.

Everyones waiting to see how you get on ;)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

it seems using the upgrade disc no longer asks for previous O/S disc as so many shop built pc's do not have one so its been withdrawn.
I have also come across the two install as mention will not apply as it has to be an "activated" o/s to update over.

apparently it seems you choose a partition after boot from disc to install and once chosen you choose to "install" where it updates or "custom" where the clean install starts and you are given the chance to format "C" and install clean at the end goto disk cleanup and run to clear the vista debris.

this is how i understand it after reading various webs.please update if i have got it wrong.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Interesting, I'll have to study it more.

I see it mentions using the windows disk to remove partitions etc. I kept mine as they were and just formatted the C drive leaving the D intact as I was happy with the partition sizes etc.

It all reads (and I only skipped through it) to me as though it's for clean installing from a "full" version, not an upgrade license as I did.
Is W7 available as an upgrade ? I haven't looked into it. Or just a full version ?

Anyway, if you do that for an upgrade license it won't validate as it hasn't run the upgrade. You have to clean install as it says and then even though it's not activated it is still valid as an OS to run the upgrade on. It's a workround that MS built into the system... and how else could you reinstall from a catastrophic failure or if you had to replace the HDD etc

I'll have another read tomorrow :)

I know your itching to get it installed ;)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

found this 34 point guide to clean install of W7 upgrade disk that alters the above options.

click here

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I am very happy with vista too, with a recent new build vista is very fast, so in no rush, but might as well use the free copy as it is supposed to handle multicore processors better.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I haven't ordered W7, I'm really happy with Vista at the moment.
As I say, I'm sure you won't have any major problems.
Will just say that using Acronis as I mentioned is well worth it. The trouble with any install like this is time. By the time you have installed (as in my case) Vista, then run it again, then start with all the updates service packs etc it turns into a full days job. I know you won't have all that with W7 but the last thing you want is a problem update or driver install or something your just not sure about spoiling that pristine installation.
Using Acronis as you go, doing incremental backups, takes all the worry out of it. If say a video driver install wasn't right etc you don't want to be uninstalling things, possibly leaving bits behind etc or having to use system restore.
In 15 minutes with Acronis your back to where you were before.
You'll be fine :)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

please post back when you do yours and let me know of any changes.
as I will wait to late november before doing this as a few programs need licence renewals then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014