We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

clean install with only a upgrade disc

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

with only one optical drive, how would i do a clean install.

with upgrade versions i have always had a disc in each drive to be on hand if asked for prev disc.

or is there a way of doing a superfast switch over in the dvd drive.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I had this problem in the past when upgrading Win 95 to Win 98. What I found was that Microsoft only needed the older disk for a few seconds to confirm you had one and then carried on installing Win 98.

You only had to take the new disk out and install the old one for a minute or so before reverting to the new one.

I can see no reason why that will not be the case upgrading to Win 7 or at least I hope not because that is what I expect to be doing nearer the end of this month.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Might be misunderstanding the question but if it's anything like Vista this works perfectly as I have done it :)

click here

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

that link looked very useful but got lost on point 26 "update WEI" the link just went to a forum? any idea what WEI is please.

link saved to favorites.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

WEI = windows experience index "thingy", goto control panel, system and click "update score" or "rate computer" or whatever it's called.
click here

If you don't, it doesn't offer Aero and things as it defaults to a base score of 1.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

In the upgrade guide the "vital bit" for a 100% clean install is the tiny option in steps 13 and 14 to let the install disk format the C drive. If you don't and have a previous OS installed you don't get quite as clean an install, there is a "windows old" file left over in program files.

It works a treat, no problem validating windows, and the improvement in boot times of a clean install is amazing, around 1 min 8 secs on a good day all up and running, sidebar, Aero etc.

May I suggest you give Microsofts security essentials a try as well, it has no impact on resources unlike every other security package I have ever come across.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

another handy tip thanks.

I thought of that but ruled it out as I could not think how a score could affect the install.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

You welcome... are you waiting for the postman to deliver your shiny windows 7 DVD :)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

yes used a voucher that was in an oem vista on my last build. had an email from ms a few days ago saying it will be dispatched soon.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

That sounds like me with Vista 2.5 years ago.
You won't regret a clean install, and also if you use Acronis you can just image your current set up and pop it on the D partition (just in case you have a problem... not that you will I'm sure) so you can always restore back to it untill you 100% happy with it all. The install and format of the C partition doesn't touch the D drive unless you start resizeing it.
Also put all the drivers for W7 (and Vista !) on a USB stick, it makes it all so easy. I kept getting asked to install a "co processor driver" by Vista and the item was flagged in device manager. Hadn't a clue what it was. It turns out it wanted "NVidia chipset drivers" for the motherboard, although it all worked. Another one, "Mass storage device", turned out to be the card reader.
Just put every driver you can find from the manufacturer onto USB and you'll be fine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer