We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 - problems with external USB hard drive

dms_05

Likes # 0

I've been using W7 for several months without any problem. However I noticed recently that the normally quick boot was very much slower with a dark screen after log-on and before the desktop appears.

After removing each item from my Start menu I found these had no effect. However if I removed a new USB hard drive the boot reverted to it's normal quick mode.

Further investigation showed that this was a problem associated with Vista as well as W7 in combination with Western Digital (WD) hard drives and neither WD or MS have issued a fix.

The cause (and solution) is the external USB hard drive is formatted with FAT. If this is converted to NTFS the problem disappears instantly.

I used the Windows 7 / Vista command (from Run):

convert X: /FS:NTFS where X is the drive letter

This converts the format whilst preserving the data. However I backed up crucial data just to be safe. The process is quick taking just a few minutes to convert a 500 GB WD disk with 200 GB of data.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

That is very useful to know. I have a WD External hard drive but fortunately it is on NTFS.

The other problem I have had is some WD ext harddrives don't work well with the switch off sequence in Intellipanels. I got an Intellipanel panel altered by the manufacturer to increase the switch off delay to 11 seconds instead of the normal 5 or 6. That fixed it Good reliable hard drives though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...