We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrad XP to Vista

Boghound

Likes # 0

OK....before I get flamed, I don't want to do a clean install.

I want to install Vista Ultimate over XP on a cloned HDD...Will the PC password (I don't use one for XP) be kept?....Will I still be able to use XP on the original HDD without activation/license issues?

If I do a clean install will I have to load video, network, etc drivers for hardware or will it retain them.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I can speak from experience on this.
I upgraded to Vista 2.5 years ago (free offer thing) and ran the upgrade over a 100% factory install of XP fresh from the recovery partition. I know now that many of the minor issues I had were caused by a flawed upgrade procedure and the upgrade patches applied to bundled software etc.
In August this year I bit the bullet and clean installed (You can do this from an upgrade disk) and am amazed how quick and responsive it is.
Yes you will need apropriate drivers but gather as many as you can onto a USB drive first.
Not sure over your license question re XP

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

because the vista is another OS if this is a new install I think you will find you do need to activate with the Vista Key

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...