We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice & Help to choose a respectable M/Board

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I am in need of a Motherboard to run a Q6700 2.66GHz Quad Core, PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics HD4800, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro on XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 Compatible so must be certified for Win 7 like Asus boards.

i recently built a Q6700 on a Asus P5Q SE board with Vista 64 bit, 4GB 1066Mhz Ram and found boot to be very slow with ths motherboard. I was told by paradis3lost it was the Marvel controller which was the bottleneck causing the slow boot.

I am not into Raid, don't need Firewire. Just a good speedy booting reliable motherboard.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

yes after seeing it in figures a moment ago on a website I understand now looking at them.

Thanks again for all you help. Best Regards hope to meet again.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

To be honest unless you are stretching the use of your PC to the limit then there's very little difference between any of the memory brands. Frequency plays by far and away the greater role. A nano second on the CAS is neither here nor there for most people.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

The P5QL/EPU is just short of £10 and is the Computer shopper best by in the mag but have my hesitations about it been cheaper, odd it only has a PS/2 Keyboard and no PS/2 mouse ! think even though cheaper then Pro board sound better. if it gives me grief I wouldn't mind having to replace in a year.

Thanks OTT_Buzzard for calling in, I am closing the post. No doubt I will be back if I have any niggles with a build hopefully mid next week if I can get all part ordered tommorow latest (Ebuyer, Aria,)

Any expierience on memory before I close, is Crucial thoug stable good Cas Latency or is Corsair or something better out of the box maybe. I might attempt to try and use another brand.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

They appear to be almost identical, apart from the EPU claiming to have better energy saving features. Not sure what the price difference is, but if it's more than a fiver then go for the Pro.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Been double checking Motherboards and between Asus P5QL Pro & the Asus P5QL/EPU if OTT_Buzzard can tell me which of the two is the better please

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Greatfully Appreciated all your help !
I see Asus have a PSU calc also. Currently reading on PSU review's & cases on Ebuyer.

Will wish you good nite and thanks again. !

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

In reality you shouldn't need much more than 300W - 350W for your build. I've gone for 500W to allow for an overclock headroom.

There are a number of sites that do PSU caluculators. The only thing they have in common is that they all give different results....but as guidelines they are useful. click here=

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I really appreciate you calling back !!! The Asus P5Q SE build is with my sister, but I will try that over the next few days.

Is a 520 - 550 wat psu high enough for the kind of specs we have been discussing, I thought I would be needing 600w+

Again Thank You !

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

I was talking about the slow boot Asus P5Q SE build....unplug everything that isn't required for the PC to boot (including excess RAM, optical drive, addtional HDD's so that all that is left is the hard drive and motherboard). If it still slow boots then post back. Or have you already tried that?

Quite PSU's.....hmmmm. Try the Corsair HX520W or the Arctic Cooling Fusion 550W (I have no experience of the latter, but it does have good reviews).

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

again, dont like to keep asking. Noise has allways been a issue no matter what I choose.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more