We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice & Help to choose a respectable M/Board

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I am in need of a Motherboard to run a Q6700 2.66GHz Quad Core, PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics HD4800, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro on XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 Compatible so must be certified for Win 7 like Asus boards.

i recently built a Q6700 on a Asus P5Q SE board with Vista 64 bit, 4GB 1066Mhz Ram and found boot to be very slow with ths motherboard. I was told by paradis3lost it was the Marvel controller which was the bottleneck causing the slow boot.

I am not into Raid, don't need Firewire. Just a good speedy booting reliable motherboard.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I came to that conclusion after you mentioned the FSB, I am not really into overclocking but if when I go onto Windows 7 need to up things then I might consider it.

What I am trying to do is get the Motherboard, CPU & Graphics Card changed now, run my XP Pro 32bit SP3 and later when Windows 7 arrvies and settles upgrade to that.

I also want to do this upgrade asap as I have a new Database software programme comming soon for my work and also this programme which is a Sample screenshot from Germany but the aircraft on the screen actually move like real Radar click here

The AMD system I am using now on a Gigabyte Nvidia GA-K8N Pro SLi motherboard is a bit of a let down now. I prefer having a Intel Chipset as most of the time F6 drivers are needed, and other reasons.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

the middle advert box on the GByte website causes my browser to hang and no display. This happens to all Gigabyte websites i go to, and found out the AMD Processor cannot produce enough of something to run the Flash video on a lot of web pages.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

So is this Asus P5QL Pro motherboard respectable then ?

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

If it's database software that you're running then the P5QL Pro and Q9550 will be absolutely fine. Lots of overclocking headroom, and you've picked a good cost effective cooler.

What HD48xx graphics card, RAM and hard drive are you proposing to use? Also, are you proposing the 64 bit or 32 bit W7 version?

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thank You for sticking with me on this one.
I was looking at a

Saphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 with VGA/DVI & HDMI Ebuyer code 159709

Ram I was going to go Crucial, on the CT2KIT12864AA1067 DDR2 PC2-8500 CL=7 Unbuffered NON-ECC, 1066MHz "Just noticed they don't have the 1333Mhz Memory" for the P5QL Pro

HDD er do not need loads of space arround 500GB should be fine not found one of them yet

Windows 7 for a later date, depends on then really the later date as if more 64bit apps arrive I will go the 64bit route

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Good choice of graphics card for office work (perhaps even a little overkill, but hey!).

There's no such thing as 1333MHz DDR2, so don;t worry about that. 1066MHz RAM is fine (RAM freq is not the same as processor FSB freq, although they are indirectly related to one another. Let me know if you need more info on this). Go for 2GB absolute minimum, preferably 4GB. Some of that will be wasted unless you have a 64 bit OS.

For the hard drive you should try and get something with a high data retrieval rate. Databases (esp big one's) access hard drives regularly. Will have a look around in a bit and make a suggestion.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I like Samsung & Seagate, Thought about the Samsung F1 drives but couldn't source a 500GB.

HD4850 card was also to support possible Dual Screen in a year or two but not important at the present.

I understand re 2GB & 4GB 32Bit restiction on Windows. Only a temp thing will be going to a 4GB on Windows 7 or possibly more.

HDD interested, I was looking for a bigger cache if thats the secret of one.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

A bigger cache (16mb) helps, but is not everything. If you like Seagate drives then you could do far worse than the Barracuda 7200.11

Right....onto the slow booting PC, if that's still an issue. Do you have more info?

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

re the slow booting are you on re my current machine I am using or the Asus P5Q SE motherboard I mentioned right at the beginning of my post.

Re the Asus P5Q SE is with Vista Premium 64bit, Q6700 OEM, HD4850 512MB GDDR3, 4GB Crucial 1066MHz memory, Samsung SATA 22x DVD WTR, Samsung EcoGreen SATA II 500GB HDD, OCZ 600w Xstream PSU

The Above I built about 3 weeks ago and sold on to my sister for loss as I wasn't happy. You would switch on, and at Pre-post it would pause a minute then carry on. Very annoying.

Or

Re my old AMD 4800 x2 2.41GHz, 2GB DDR400, WinXP Pro SP3, Nvidia GF7900GT, Seagate Barracuda 3500418AS, DVD Rom, DVD Wtr IDE, Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

again, dont like to keep asking. Noise has allways been a issue no matter what I choose.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)