We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice & Help to choose a respectable M/Board

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I am in need of a Motherboard to run a Q6700 2.66GHz Quad Core, PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics HD4800, Arctic Freezer 7 Pro on XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 Compatible so must be certified for Win 7 like Asus boards.

i recently built a Q6700 on a Asus P5Q SE board with Vista 64 bit, 4GB 1066Mhz Ram and found boot to be very slow with ths motherboard. I was told by paradis3lost it was the Marvel controller which was the bottleneck causing the slow boot.

I am not into Raid, don't need Firewire. Just a good speedy booting reliable motherboard.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

because I do not want RAID, Crossfire and Win 7 compatible, I am Spartacus I wasn't getting anywhere with my post as their a loads of Socket 775 motherboards, I want to make sure I am getting a decent one. Last rubbish build was my old AMD 4800 x2 on a nVidia motherboard, what a pain it has been.

I am still wanting some advice on a good Intel Quad core OEM or Retail, not overclocking. I am confused why a Q6700 is cheaper than a Q8400 at click here

is the Q8400 better as the motherboard olny supports upto 1066MHz ? but this 8400 is £10 cheaper

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Right....

The Q8400 processor is the better of the two for most apps. The increased FSB is worth more performance than increased cache in most cases.
For hugely repetitive, very large volume processing tasks the increased cache of the Q6700 will play a more important role.

The Q6700 probably cheaper because it is either being phased out and therefore low production volume making it more expensive.

My advice? Select an alternative motherboard and go with the Q8400.

Most motherboards have RAID capability of one sort or another. It's waste of time finding one that doesn't. If you don't want it then don't use it!

Not sure what to say about the slow boot on the Asus P5Q SE. I've always found them to be very good motherboards and have never had an issue with the LAN controllers.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Don't suppose you can tell me a better board than the Asus P5QL Pro PLEASE. I spent 2 days looking for a board. Got no hair left, well nearly all gone.

With the Q8400 having the 1333FSB then should I look for a Motherboard which will support it ? someone said the other week if the motherboard only has 1066 then I still wouldn't loose out.

Re the Slow boot on the Asus P5Q SE look at this (I sold a newly built machine on it as it bugged me bad) click here just one random postings in other places. I changed the DVD Wtr to a sata and still no improvement but ignore this and I am having another go as I am desperate.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

and I don't plan on using either CrossFire or Raid wouldn't I be throwing my money away for paying for these unused technologies.

HELP !

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz Skt775 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache against the Q9550 2.83GHz (FSB 1333MHz) Socket 775 L2 12MB Cache take it this way the Q9550 beats the Q6700 & Q8400

But still stuck on a motherboard.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Yes, the Q9550 beats the other 2 processors.

What's wrong with the Asus P5QL Pro? It supports 1333MHz FSB. If you do use a board that doesn't support the processors max FSB then you will end up throttling the CPU's performance. That would be a horrendous waste.

You're right about not paying for crossfire / sli support if you;re not going to use it. RAID is a different issue. Most motherboards support it regardless....including the Asus P5QL Pro!

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

its driving me mad. Been sat here since 6pm, need a fag back in 5 mins. Cost isn't a problem.
CPU - Motherboard combination is all I need.
So happy with a Q9550 still a motherboard I need.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Confused a bit (head buzzin with P4x and EP3x etc) is the Asus P5QL Pro respectable or is their something better to match the Q9550 ?

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

It depends on what the PC is going to be used for and if you;re ever likely to overclock it....

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

I should add that when you said in your pst at 15:41 that the Asus P5QL Pro doesn't support 1333MHz FSB, i took that as read. I have since checked and it supports upto 1600MHz FSB

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......