We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Bckup

bennatrins

Likes # 0

Just bought a new Acer laptop running Vista Home Premium. No discs included (as is the norm now I guess) and keeps prompting me to do a backup of system via Acer eRecovery ... have tried this twice now but keeps freezing during the verification stage.

May be a problem with the Acer software? Either way, anyone able to suggest a way of sorting out a back up for the OS/system so I can reboot if required? Know a little about computers, just need some direction!

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

If you post the Acer Model please. Is the software for DVD Wtr called NTI ?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Unless you have a major failure and can't access Windows you should still be able to do a full factory recovery from the hidden partion. Even then you can still enter ERecovery at boot up by pressing ALT and F10 if things were really bad. It should all be in the Acer user manual (pdf on HDD).
Are you sure the DVD's are OK, if it's failing when trying to read/write/verify ?
Does your model (the ERecovery utility) allow you to do user backups ? These are image backups of the C drive and operate in a similar way to 3rd party programs such as Acronis. The image is stored on the D partition.

Like this post
bennatrins

Likes # 0

Acer model is 5738Z, software is NTI but this is a different program to Acer eRecovery.

eRecovery offers 2 options - create factory default disc or create drivers & applications disc.

Guess I'm wondering if I actually need to make a recovery disc or not? DVDs are Kodak DVD-R if that makes any odds?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

The recovery discs are aomething you should have, just in case. I don't know why yours are not working but I would be tempted to try another DVD brand. If you are still having problem contact Acer support or the retailer. The discs you create are just images of the recovery options on the HDD and are only to be used if for some reason the HDD recovery options can not be accessed etc... very unlikely.
Have you read the manual?
You are able to create your own backups etc on the D partition using ERecovery as well as just being able to do a factory reinstall. DVD's are messy and prone to damage and errors anyway.
The backups you create are full image backups of the whole PC operating system and everything you do and add including Windows updates etc.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Use another brand and burn at the lowest speed possible to stand a better chance of getting a good backup that will verify.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If the harddrive recovery image (hidden partition) is the same as Dell's then I wouldn't rely on it. Make the Acer's recovery DVDs and possibly copy them with appropriate software.
If you still can't create the recovery DVDs then I strongly recommend you to contact Acer or your laptop supplier and get it sorted. You need to do it now and don't take no for an answer.
If you have bought the laptop from a store near to you take it there and suggest they restore it to factory settings as you could not.
As they are trying that suggest they do a backup to DVDs you just remembered you have.
A very important part which you paid for when you bought the laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia