We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

back up failed.

standard8

Likes # 0

Itried to do a backup to DVD but the back up failed.The message I got was "the system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002).My laptop runs Vista Home Premium and is an Advent 7201 with NIS 2009 Premier Edition.Any help would be much appreciated.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Just put that error code into Vistas own "help and support" and it comes back as a windows update error.
Has the backup routine worked OK before ?
Just going off your question I'm not a great fan of Vistas backup using DVD's. Too slow and messy and prone to errors. If you only have a few gb of personal stuff to back up a flssh drive or two, or SD cards are IMO much better.
And best safeguard of all, a program like Acronis that backs up the entire system.

Like this post
standard8

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply.Back up routine has worked previously but it was quite a while ago.I don't understand what relationship this error code in windows update has with the same error code for back up but then I'm still learning about computers.I've actually done a back up on a DVD by dragging the files I want onto the DVD drive and this was successful.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Can't really suggest much I'm afraid. A one off ?
Always worth running a disk check occasionally,
click here

and then running the sfc utility,
click here

Just to make sure there are no corrupt files etc.

Like this post
standard8

Likes # 0

Thanks for getting back to me.I've done as you suggested and no faults found.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I put that error code and Vista Backups into google,
click here
Toward the end of the page someone reckons to have fixed it, but google "Vista backup failing 0x80070002 error code" shows it to be a common issue.
If you fix it let us all no on here :)

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

or know even :)

Like this post
standard8

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the time you have spent helping me.I've read the post but it involves going into the registry and I am definitely not confident enough to do that.As I said previously,I,ve done a back up by dragging the files onto my dvd drive and as long as I can do that,I'm quite happy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite