We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen Saver - suddenly VERY Odd behaviour

AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Afternoon Chaps,
Just today, for the first time, I'm experiencing screen freeze on my Toshiba L300 1AQ Laptop/Vista. When the screensaver is on, when I go to start using the lappy again it freezes - the screen stays black, then goes white then a small window ' Aurora (or ribbons, or whatever one I'm using)has stopped responding.' then I get a choice to wait to see if it will resoind or stop it now. I stop it now and it (wallpaper) is visible again. I haven't installed any software, or updates (this week that is) and it's only started today. It's VERY annoying and I don't know how to stop it. Any ideas please?

Thanks

Ange

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

thanks for the link. Very interesting reading, that. I **think** I'm gonna stick with Avast! for the time being. I'm trying not NOT to have to go the route of reinstalling Vista - prior to getting this lappy in Feb, I've been using XP for > 7 years I think, and am reasonably confident using it. Vista is a different kettle of fish for me, so the less I've got to do install/registry etc etc -wise, the better!!

Certainly keep this MSE in mind though...

Ange
x

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Hi... have a read at this,
click here

:)

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Screen Savers seem to be behaving themselves too ... 8-D

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

just to clear this up and sign off this problem. At the top of the performance and reliability screen, was AVG antivirus! I was also experiencing lots of probs with downloading my email.

I posted a message on the AVG official users forum and a member of AVG staff confirmed there is a bug that would be fixed in the next few updates. I've uninstalled AVG and instead got Avast! and the CPU is averaging between 4% and about 52% (rarely). AVGs user interfave seems nicer and user friendly but I want it to do a JOB not to look nice!!

many thanks

Ange
xx

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

If you open "Performance and reliability" and look at the drop down list under CPU, whatever is running the CPU at maximum should be at the top of the list. It could even be malware of some kind.
Have you tried doing a system restore to go back in time.

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

It's Vista premium SP2, 32bit, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD. I do a cntr/alt/del from time to time to bring up task manager, and since buying this lappy (Feb this year) have quite marvelled at the fact that it seems to have a CPU usage of between about 3 & 40% - HOWEVER, I notice today it seemed to be stuck at 100% !!! I was very alarmed...

xx

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I would check your Graphics Driver first. Can you post back with which version of windows please. XP or Vista Business/Home/Premium/32bit or 64bit (Right Click my computer and it tells you in there which version.)

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

thanks for the link. Very interesting reading, that. I **think** I'm gonna stick with Avast! for the time being. I'm trying not NOT to have to go the route of reinstalling Vista - prior to getting this lappy in Feb, I've been using XP for > 7 years I think, and am reasonably confident using it. Vista is a different kettle of fish for me, so the less I've got to do install/registry etc etc -wise, the better!!

Certainly keep this MSE in mind though...

Ange
x

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015