We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Vista taking loads of disk space

Ethan1982

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have Acer 7720 with Vista on it. My C:/ shows that I have used up about 45GB of HDD but the fact is I haven't yet installed any other programmes that takes up that much space and I save all my files in other partition.

To benchmark, after my very first set up it started with 20GB used space on C: and nothing on D which looked okay to me as I read somewhere that Vista Home Premium takes up about 10GB(Please point if I am wrong) and I might have a hidden partition for the recovery.

Since then, I haven't installed 25gig contents for sure and I regularly clear the clutters using the CCleaner.

Is the problem(!!) common with Vista? Is there anything I might have done wrong?
In need, what should I do to free up my hard disk space?
How can I actually see whats the size of the hidden partition or any other hidden files?

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Do read the ZDNet article linked to within that document before changing the system restore size.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

That's a good link of Brundles.
Will just add that Vista pre SP1 etc takes around 10gb as you say. Install nothing but the recommended Windows updates and service packs and that jumps to nearer 16 to 18gb or so.
Yes you have a hidden partition for recovery, which will be "small" as the files are compressed.
Read the Acer manual installed as a PDF file, just type Acer into the run box to find it. This will detail recovery options and also Acers own backup utility... well worth using... similar to Acronis TI

Like this post
jakimo

Likes # 0

if you had followed my link and used this microsoft service you would have probably found the cure to your problems

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room