We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus P5Q SE new build with Vista Premium 64bit

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Problem with this system just built arround a Quad Core OEM Q6700 and 4GB Memory DDR1067 Kit the Boot from Cold is fairly sluggish before getting to actually load into Vista.

BIOS has been updated and MemTest86 passed find but I for some reason couldn't run SamSung HDD utility to diagnose the HDD though it passed when ran on a older SATA Motherboard.

I have read arround other places but no soloution that a slow boot problem exhist's anyone happen to have a Asus P5Q series motherboard with similar problem.

Also have a IDE not SATA Samsung DVD Wtr as the only Drive, wonder if this would make a difference being a SATA Drive.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

My HDD is a Samsung SATA 2 and has no jumpers!

Still think is a BIOS issues, even Asus Forums with no replies all week but a lot of look in's double figures. I think their are to many redundant Tweaks in the BIOS that cannot be turned off. Maybe soon a BIOS update may turn up as I am sure this problem is effecting many others with this board.

Think I will change to a Gigabyte or MSI board in a few months. Was happy with Asus products till this came about. Should have took note of PCPro Motherboard Review and gone Gigabyte

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

Audio~~Chip, are you sure your drive doesn't have jumpers?

All SATA drives I've come across have jumpers - for Samsung drives this is the setting to change it to SATA1 mode click here. G

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Confused, why I need to change it to SATA one when its a SATA II HDD and the Motherboard is a Asus P5Q SE with Sata II ?

My Samsung HDD is a EcoGreen F2 500GB SATA Drive

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

"Confused, why I need to change it to SATA one when its a SATA II HDD and the Motherboard is a Asus P5Q SE with Sata II?"

From an earlier link/post (it's just something to try to see if it makes a difference):

"The only real difference I saw was when removing the jumper on my Seagate 3G Sata's that stuck them in Sata 150 mode and sped them up considerably."

Most info says there's negligible real world difference between SATA I & SATA II. G

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Tried this last night and had a problem booting into windows, after 5 re boots i gave up and took off the jumper.

I will clost the post though not fixed and maybe look back on this post in a month or two. I think the BIOS is over populated with unwanted tweaking settings or Just poor booting.

Like this post
paradis3lost

Likes # 0

The problem with the P5Q SE is that the Marvell IDE controller will always try to detect HDD. So if you connect SATA HDDs to it, it will not detect them, since they are NOT IDE. It will hence display Hard disk not found, which is true since you do NOT have any IDE HDDs connected.

I had this problem which makes the boot up sluggish, and since I wasn't using any IDE drives so I disable the Marvell IDE controller from BIOS. Since you have a IDE optical drive...you can try disabling it. If your optical drive seizes to function, then you have to enable it again and live with the slow boot.

Like this post
Chips~&~Bytes

Likes # 0

the Marvell that got turned off in the BIOS.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more