We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to increase onboard vga?

slktec

Likes # 0

I have intel 945G mother board.It has 256 onboard video memory.But it used 8 MB.how can i increase it?I'm using vista ultimate.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

I would look at upgrading the Memory from 256MB to as much as you can afford say 2GB max & fit a dedicated Graphics Card which in your case will be a AGP type.

Is your machine a HP, Packard Bell brand. Also which windows ? if you can post back which Mfr Make and Model of machine also would help to ident you system.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The 256Mb is the onboard graphic memory, slktec has not actual stated how much RAM they have.

slttec

How do you know it is only using 8MB of the graphic memory, I ask as I would think it unlikely that you would get any display at all if it was only using 8MB

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

slktec, if it has 256Mb onboard graphics RAM, then the 8Mb figure is most likely the amount of system RAM it's also using.

Isn't the amount of system RAM used [by the graphics] at any given time automatically controlled by the system/applications being run? Anyway, there might be a feature in the graphics card software that will let it be changed manually to a set figure. Or, even by a setting in the BIOS, e.g. click here.

Audio~~Chip, an Intel 945G motherboard will mostly likely have PCI-E graphics click here. G

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

Sorry, forgot to say that the more system RAM you allocate to the graphics (by software/BIOS), the less system RAM there will be available. G

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

All on board RAM is taken from the System RAM that is why for example on my Acer laptop with 512MB of RAM and 64 MB of onboard graphics Windows Properties only shows 448MB of RAM.

I am not aware of a computer with onboard graphics that allows the user to allocate even more system RAM to the graphics. You can often go into the BIOS and reduce the amount of RAM from its maximum allocated to onboard video.

Like this post
slktec

Likes # 0

I have 2 GB Ram.Intel graphics media accelerator shows it using 8 mb.At bios settings,they didn't show 256 mb memory to change.I changed it to 128mb.After that,IGMA shows using memory 90mb.

I used Google sketchup. When I render something,IGMA shows more MBs for using graphics memory.

So I think my problem is solved.They have standby 256MB memory.When the program want more V. memory,they use it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?