We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista on Toshiba laptop

montrachet

Likes # 0

Hi
I have a Toshiba laptop L300 1AQ running Vista Premium. It seems to take an age to load up and then an age to shut down. If I change the software to run on XP is there any chance it will be any quicker, or am I just kidding myself.
Thanks in advance
montrachet

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

How long is long ?
Open windows defender and look in software explorer to see what programs run at start up. Anything not related to Vista can be disabled. This only prevents them loading at startup, doesn't stop them running when called on.
Vista on it's own should boot up in a minute to minute and a half I guess... security packages can easily double that. Shutdown should be quick, I reckon on about 15 to 20 secs from hitting the power button to all "all lights out"

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

What's the spec of your computer? In particular, how much memory has it got?

1GB is a bare minimum for Vista Home Premium. 2Gb is much better.

mooly's advice is well worth following. In addition, I would uninstall any unused software on the computer. Then run a clean-up with something like CCleaner, and finally run a defrag.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014