We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it just me ?

ol blueeyes

Likes # 0

It's started again. Some time ago on Windows 7 after installing Microsoft Updates that required re-booting my Computer went into the repair mode (which it never did) so I had to re-install Windows 7 again. Then for some weeks all was well now it has started again. Yesterday I re-installed Windows 7 3 times. Eac time it was after Microsoft updates were downloaded and installed and a re-boot called for.
So I ask
Does it happen to anyone else
Is it me
Is it my Computer
Is it Microsoft
Or what is it
Incidentally The Windows 7 I am running is Evaluation Copy Build 7100 quite legal and activated by Microsoft.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

the obvious conclusion is that one (or more) of the updates is causing this to happen .
have you thought about disabling automatic updates and then updating manually ,this way you will be able to see what updates are available and download them (one at a time ) if nessesary.
I allways do updates manually , you dont allways need every update thats offered .
I have seen a similar problem happen to a friend . and it was found to be a simple update to do with net framework that caused a failed reboot and ended up having to restore .
I am running the latest version (rtm) and have seen no problems .but there again I allways manually control updates and allways download one at a time.
you could do a search (google etc) and key in the names of your updat ,for example KB******** problems . to see if anyone else has had the same experiences.

Like this post
ol blueeyes

Likes # 0

merlinx
Thanks will try that
I didn't have much hair to start with now I've got even less.
Auto matic Updates now switched off.
Thanks again.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

about downloading and installing updates manually, one at a time, is sound. In situations like this it enables you to spot a troublesome update immediately, and you can set about repairing the problem.

One thing's for sure - if you have a problem with an update other people will have experienced the same trouble, and the answer will be out there. First you have to isolate the culprit, however.

Like this post
ol blueeyes

Likes # 0

merlinx
Thanks again for your help and advice. Some one ought to tell Microsoft or perhaps they have sorted it in the edition we get in October. Or the problem will be solved in SP1

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

the problem you have(or had) may only affect a small number of windows users ,it may be that the something on your PC has been altered or corrupted by software you have added or removed.
that is why ,you should,... when you have Isolated the problem update ,do a search for (update problem "update name") and see if you are not alone .if there are many with the same problem them microsoft should be informed .
that being said ,the version you are running is (rc) and not the final version ,in all probability the final (rtm) version may have cured the problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...