We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transition from Windows XP to Windows 7RC

tigertop2

Likes # 0

I am helping a neighbour who has now successfully loaded Windows 7RC on a new Desktop which is now running with Windows Office 2007

All the old XP files have been saved from his previous desktop on a DVD and loaded onto the new desktop. Everything is fine with one exception
Files saved using Windows 2000 Powerpoint will not open on the new machine. Even though it has Powerpoint included in MS office 2007.

I am sure there must be a simple solution. Can anyone suggest how this problem can be overcome please?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Do the Powerpoint 2000 files have .ppt as their file extension?

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Sorry bremner, you have lost me completely on that one! Can you rewrite it in simple idiot language for me please?

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

I think they may have been saved as a pre Office2000 PP format - anyway, some ideas to work through here click here. G

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

A file has a name and then the bit that comes after the dot.

For example a word document could be pcadvisor.doc

The .doc bit is the file extension.

Powerpoint since 2000 has had the file extension .ppt but a different extension prior to that.

What is the file extension on your neighbours files.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Bremner and Crossbow7

Many thanks for your help . I know a lot more about hardware than software! The files are saved under MS powerpoint 97-2003. I tried opening the same files loaded on a flash drive on my own PCs. First on Vista and then on Windows 7 on my own PCs. In both cases I was successful.

I will need to go back and try and do this on my neighbour's PC using the same flash drive . If that is OK then the problem may lie with the DVD disc and I can fix that.

Your expertise is much appreciated, case solved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...