We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Partitioned Hard-Drive

BoilerOil

Likes # 0

Hi
I have a Laptop with Vista Home Premium installed.
With a partitioned Hard Drive C and D, Vista is installed on C plus some programs D is empty except for half a dozen folders.
My question, is it possible to remove partition D without losing any of the folders if so how.

Thank you for your help.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

do you want to delete d partition then incease the size of c partition?

if so i think you will need 3rd part software, there used to be a program called partition magic that did this but it was not compatable with vista i think the makers may have gone bust.

also beware in case you accidently delete the hidden restore volume.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Easeus is a free program that will do this for you and it works with Vista. click here Take heed of sunnystaines comment that it might be your recover partition. If any of the folders are named Drivers, Recover or Tools or look as though they may be something to do with re-installing the system if it crashes badly, then leave the partition there. If you have a Vista CD and Driver CD and all your installed programs then it will be safe to go ahead.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if you use Easeus please give feedback.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I recommended Easeus as I have used it on the Vista machine that I am currently using. Fairly similar to Partion Magic, if you have used that, and done the job O.K.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Just copy these folders to your C drive, then delete the D partition (using Vistas disk management) and then expand the C drive!

No extra software needed.

Like this post
BoilerOil

Likes # 0

Hi
I used the one in vista, Windows Vista Computer Management and reduced D:

Thank you for your help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015