We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 32 bit versus 64 bit

Guybrush1

Likes # 0

Hi everybody

I am looking for a bit of advice on the merits of Windows 7 32 bit versus 64 bit.

I have pre-ordered Windows 7 Pro through Amazon and as the disk is going to come with the choice of both 32 and 64 bit versions I was considering taking the plunge and installing the 64 bit version but I have some concerns which i am hoping you guys (and gals) can help me with.

First question is, if I take the plunge and install 64 bit and its a disaster can I change my mind and install the 32 bit version and activate it using the same key again. Or to put it another way can I use both 32 and 64 bit versions with the same key on my machine as many times as I want as long as only one version is activated at any one time?

Next question is as I am an avid gamer what could the downfalls be? Now I'm not bothered about it improving performance in games as I appreciate that just about all modern PC games are programmed in 32 bit and as of yet very few have been "enhanced" to take advantage of a 64 bit enviroment. All I want is for the games to run and be compatible. Will a 64 bit operating system cause huge games incompatibility? Any gamer out there running there games with no probs? Please list successes and games that won't run under Windows 7 64 bit if at all possible.

Lastly I have a resonably up to date system (Though not cutting edge lol) I have 4 gb memory an Intel Quad Core Processor 2.4ghz and a Sparkle Nvidia 9800 GTX+, Realtek High Def Audio (onboard) with two hard drives that total over 800 gb.

How readily available are device drivers and how good is Windows 7 64 with its built in and generic drivers?

I know thats a lot in one go but any advice so I can make an informed decision when the time comes would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Guybrush1

P.S. I am running the 32 bit Windows 7 RC evaluation copy and its awesome !! ;-)

Like this post
bemuzed

Likes # 0

I have some XP programs that work fine. If get 64bit Win7 will those programs still work?

I tried 64bit Linux a while back and some programs woudl nto work as they did not have 64bit versions, whatever that means, e.g. some plug ins for Firefox.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Hi F.E
Thats quite alright and i hope you enjoy whats left of the weekend ( Rain here in Cornwall)!!
I do think however that the whole issue of activation could of been better explained by the powers that be and i am betting there are still a few questions to be answered on the subject.We shall of course see in 11 days or so.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You're right, and I stand corrected. I was trying to make the point that you can only choose one version - you can't activate a 32bit version and then decide to activate the 64 bit version on the same licence, or vice versa.

My apologies for any confusion caused.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

F.E Said

"No, you can't. You'll buy either a 32bit version or a 64bit version, and although both versions will be on your DVD you'll only be able to activate the version you ordered/paid for - you can't just choose on the day. There's no reason why the 64bit version should be a disaster, it's exactly the same as the 32bit version."

Thats not actually correct. You can activate either the 32 bit or 64 bit version on your retail DVD, there IS no option to pre-order one or the other ! It cant be done like that.
You can however only activate one of these so play with each and choose carefully.

Like this post
alansabout

Likes # 0

I have a pre order of windows home I am not sure where it states 32 or 64 bit click here I was under the same impression as Guybrush1

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

One of the (slightly) irritating things about the 64 bit version is not being able to right-click on a file and scan it for viruses etc. in explorer unless you have a 64 bit version of that particular program. I use Malwarebytes and Trojan Hunter and so far neither of them can do this. NOD32 has a 64 bit version so I'll get by with that for now.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

"....with same key which i installed and have run side by side on seperate partions with same key ever since."

I think that's the key (no pun intended) - you're running BOTH versions on the SAME computer & hardware. And you're only running one or the other at a time. Very few people have this kind of arrangement. G

Like this post
jamesd1981

Likes # 0

well i hardly see microsoft supplying you with a 32 bit and 64 bit version of windows 7 and giving each disc a seperate key so that you could keep one and give the other away free as there so strict if you vista 32 and 64 if you put 64 on your machine and put 32 on another they shut both copys down by placing a key in the registry that blocks the user files so hardly see them doing a total u turn some people are best not speaking unless their sure they know what they are talking about.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

...and of course YOU know that it will be exactly the same when Windows 7 is released? As this is what the thread is about, not Vista.

Like this post
jamesd1981

Likes # 0

for those who claimed you wont be able to run 32 and 64 on same key thats funny because i bought a medion from aldi a few months ago it came with two vista disks 32 bit and 64 bit both with same key which i installed and have run side by side on seperate partions with same key ever since.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?