We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Turning off UAC?

wky

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I'm sure there may have been a few threads about UAC in Vista. I personally have gotten rid of this annoyance by enabling the master admin account and using that. I have heard that there are some disadvantages in using the master admin account, but does anybody know what these disadvantages/security problems this may pose? As far as I can see, I can gain access to everything unrestricted which is great as I like to poke around my system now and again and I don't need Windows to tell me I may damage my system everytime I do this. What are your views?

wky

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

If unwanted software gets into your system and can run with your administrator credentials, it can also access anything it wants without restriction - both file system and registry. Restricting security so that day-to-day tasks can be done but any significant changes require administrator intervention or permission reduces the likelihood that unwanted software can make damaging changes. For example, leaving UAC on means Internet Explorer runs in protected mode, which sandboxes the IE session and prevents malware infecting your system. Microsoft have found that Vista is 60% less likely to be affected by IE drive-by infections than XP was.

Like this post
jja244

Likes # 0

I turned UAC off on my computer (Vista HP) and use the free Norton UAC instead. You can read about it and download it from here click here. Works fine.

Like this post
acein1

Likes # 0

i agree with "brundle" on the security points with ie8,i have no problem with "uac" after all its just a click to allow oe deny,no big deal ,but its your decision,also as regards to the free "norton uac"again i dont see the point,in fact ANYTHING norton is a no no with me.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Two things:-

1.When you install Norton UAC the Vista UAC is NOT turned off.

2. The main point of Norton UAC is that it provides Vista UAC with a memory so if it keeps asking permission for the same activity you can set it to remember that you don't want to be notified on those specific occasions only.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

Like jja244, I have been using Norton UAC for around 12 months now. I would advise anyone who has Vista to use it instead of Vista's own UAC.

Norton's UAC is in my opinion what Vista's UAC should have been like. Common sense should have told Microsoft to provide a 'don't ask me again' tick box on their UAC for frequently run programs.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

I was of the same opinion about Norton, i.e. 'ANYTHING norton is a no no'. But I was pleasantly surprised and was glad to be proved wrong by Norton's UAC, I find it an invaluable piece of software for any Vista user.

I can see the reason behind Vista's UAC, but surely when you are running the same program day in day out, you do not need to be prompted all the time about it. With Norton's UAC, you have the security of Vista's UAC, but for familiar and safe programs that you run yourself you can tick the 'don't ask me again' tick box. If an unauthorized program tries to run, you will be prompted about it in the same way has you would if you didn't have Norton's UAC installed and instead were using Vista's UAC.

Like this post
Brenne

Likes # 0

I've followed this thread because I'm irritated by UAC too. I understand it is a good fairy protecting me from nasties, but when it has asked me whether or not to allow a "website to open web content using this program", it then offers me a tick box saying " do not show me this warning for this program again". Whether I have allowed or not, ticking this box has absolutely no effect whatsoever: what is the point of it?
Would it help to use IE8? I once tried the upgrade from IE7 offered by Windows update but it failed to work so I went back to 7. I am very reluctant to invoke Norton for such a trivial task.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

Microsoft's UAC does not have,

'a tick box saying " do not show me this warning for this program again". Whether I have allowed or not, ticking this box has absolutely no effect whatsoever: what is the point of it?'

But Norton's UAC does have the tick box so that you will not be asked again for that particular program. The only time you will be asked again with Norton's UAC is in some instances when the program in question has been updated.

I am not a fan of Norton's products, but the Norton UAC is a god send for anyone who is sick of Microsoft's UAC.

Here's the link to Norton's UAC and its free too,

click here

Like this post
Brenne

Likes # 0

Thank you, FatboySlim71. Sorry for delayed reply: I've been away on hols. Norton UAC now installed, and it solves that problem. I still fail to understand the point of a non-effective tick box, but it doesn't matter any more. Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?