We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7: Two questions

skeletal

Likes # 0

I have two questions about W7:

Some forum users may remember that I have never been able to make Vista work properly on my machine. W7, apparently, uses a lot of Vista’s software. This hints to me that W7 may not work either. So, has anyone who has never made Vista work, tried W7 and found it does work?

Please note that the “Is your computer compatible with W7 etc etc” software is useless for this purpose as the Vista equivalent says my computer will work easily (as does W7 come to that).

Second question as I’m tempted to try it (glutton for punishment that I am!):

I currently have a dual boot set up between Vista and XP. It is now so long since I set it up I can’t remember how I did it. BUT, I seem to recall that Vista does something odd to hard drives and you have to be careful about its dual boot function.

This is why I’ve never got round to removing Vista, even though I never use it.

I’m thinking of trying W7 in the place of Vista. How do I replace Vista (and the dodgy hard dive problem?) with W7? And, when W7’s trial time runs out, will this upset the dual boot process (i.e. the dodgy(?) hard drive setting not let me boot to XP)?

My computer is vital for my day to day work so must not get screwed up. Is the above proposal worth trying, or is it too risky given M$’s dodgy software?

Thanks for any comments.

Skeletal

Like this post
setecio

Likes # 0

bookmarked

Like this post
nostromo1

Likes # 0

skeletal, install win7 over your vista, then download vistabootpro, works on 7. All you do with this is tell the program where all your os are and hey presto on reboot you get a choice. EASY

Like this post
skeletal

Likes # 0

Ah!

Thanks guys. It’s just this half remembered niggle I had. I really don’t know where it came from.

Good info about FIXMBR.

It is very rare I muck about with hard drives/boots etc. As I say, I did it with the Vista installation over two years ago and I’ve not done it since. My aging brain can’t remember things over a few days, let alone years!

Skeletal

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

You understand me correctly install over the partition with Vista on it.
The boot screen will offer both XP (thats what you are leaving)and Windows 7. You can make XP default using msconfig/boot tag.
It will not affect the hard drive. If your Hard drive is OK now you will have no problem

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

At the moment you have a dual boot system with a dodgy installation of Vista SO on the basis that you install Windows 7 over Vista and it works you are already a winner! If it is dodgy like Vista you are no worse off!

Just to put your mind at rest Vista doesn't do nasty things to your hard drive so when you want to get rid of it, in the same way as you will eventually need to get rid of Windows 7 RC1, all you do is format the partition and using your XP disk you repair the MBR by using FIXMBR from the recovery console which will get rid of your dual boot options.

Like this post
skeletal

Likes # 0

Cross posted Quiet Life!

OK, I can re-format the partition, but what will the boot screen do?

Perhaps someone can put my mind at rest about the idea I have that the Vista dual boot option does dodgy things to the hard drive. I don’t know why I think this, probably came during the nightmares I had trying to get Vista to work...dreams have merged into reality!

Skeletal

Like this post
skeletal

Likes # 0

OK Thanks rawprawn. If I’ve understood that link correctly, I should just be able to install W7 over the top of the redundant Vista installation.

So I will end up with the boot screen saying “W7 or earlier version” etc.

Will there be any problem when the trial time runs out?

I guess, unless I merge partitions using Partition Magic or whatever, I will end up with a redundant partition, just like now really.

I’m just a bit bothered that all this may screw up the computer.

Skeletal

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Well worth trying and risk free. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised with W7. When W7 expires you can merely format the partition and change the boot menu.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

click here for dual boot instructions, just make sure that you install it on the correct partition.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good