We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 PCA Text

rawprawn

Likes # 0

I have been dual booting Win 7 for a few months now, but I find the text on this forum slightly blurred. If I open My Documents it is crystal clear, and other web sites seem OK, although not perhaps as good as Vista.
Am I missing something, I have tried both with and without Compatibility, it seems to make no difference.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is rendered by your browser - which one are you using?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Hi, when I made the comment I was using IE8. However I find the text much better using Firefox.
I generally prefer to use IE, is there a way to remedy this slight blur in Win 7?
I have pre ordered Windows 7 Home Premium, is this likely to produce better display than the evaluation edition.
Also I am dual booting Vista Home Premium, and Win 7 RC1. I get a much higher resolution in vista than win 7. Same graphics card obviously, I wonder why, any ideas?

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

"I get a much higher resolution in vista than win 7"

You have a resolution/driver problem by the looks of it.

Are you running Win7 at your monitor's native resolution? G

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Morning Crossbow7, Yes it's a laptop and only shows "Generic Non PNP Monitor on Standrd Graphic Adapter"
The resolution is set to the highest which is only 1024 * 768, whereas in Vista it shows as 1440 * 900.
I can't understand the discrepancy

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Any help appreciated, Is this because I am dual booting? or some other reason. I have pre ordered Win 7, and I don't want this problem when I install the full release version.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

Afternoon rawprawn.

Yes, as I'd suspected your laptop isn't running at its native resolution in Win7 - the graphics adapter isn't being recognised & it's running on generic Windows drivers.

Are you able to update the graphics drivers via Device Manager in Win7. Worth a try.

What's the make & model number of your laptop please? Trying to determine what graphics it has, so this info will also suffice. G

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I have updated graphics in device manager and it says the latest are installed.It is a Sony Vaio VGN-AR31E with NVDIA GeForce Go 7400 GPU installed
Thanks for your help.
RP

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I have been to NVIDIA site, and I am again told that the diver is up to date and it recognised Win 7 system.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

we have same graphics in a sony it goes downhill if set above 1024 * 768

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I'm sorry I don't understand, in Vista there is no problem at all set at 1440 * 900, but when I boot into W7 the highest available setting is 1024 * 768
which is causing the problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia