We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Pre-Order

HondaMan

Likes # 0

Seems that proices are already going up. On this site click here W7Prof is offered at about £180 and yet I ordered mine for £78.23 + p&p and yes, I have checked that it is W7Prof edition.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

As you will see from this click here the cheap pre order was only for a limited time only and all the promo material quoted " Stocks are limited"

You seem to have been very lucky to have got it for £78

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

Having read recently that Microsoft are now going to launch the European version of W7 with a choice of browsers rather than no browser at all, will the people who managed to get the cheaper initial offers get a non-browser version or have Microsoft not commenced production of the software yet?

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Doesn't matter to me; I avoid IE at all costs

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Looks like Amazon are still doing the Home Premium cheap.

click here

It will be comming with Internet Explorer 8 on it.

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link, just ordered my copy.

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

I'll just add that Amazon looks the cheapest place at the moment to order from, and they also have a pre-order guarantee, meaning that if the price changes between now and the release date you will get charged the lowest price.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The official position is that on launch day European purchasers will now get exactly the same version as the rest of the world - that is, with Internet Explorer 8 included. This decision was taken in order that the European launch would not be delayed while the EU deliberated on the Microsoft proposal to offer people a list of alternative browsers as part of the installation routine. The code had to be released to manufacturing so that the software would be packaged, distributed, and in the shops by 22nd October.

If the EU commission eventually decides to accept Microsoft's proposal it will be done by offering European users a list of alternative browsers at a later date via an internet update.

To summarise: on launch day you'll get Windows 7 with IE 8 as the default browser.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

FE, thanks for clarifying the situation. I managed to secure a copy at the offer price with DABS and even though it wouldn't have been too much trouble with it coming without a browser, it will make it easier now that it will.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Am I the only one to be disappointed that IE8 will be included after all?

Hopefully it will be easy to uninstall.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......