We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fancy that

Ozy

Likes # 0

I have done something with Windows 7 that I found impossible to do with windows 98,
Windows XP, and Windows Vista.
I took the hard disk out of the computer that I installed on, I put it in a different computer,
That had different makers mainboard, different makers graphics, and different Processor’
If I did that with 98, XP, or Vista, they would not even bootup.
Windows 7 did, and I could use it normally.
As this was only an experiment, I have put it back in the original computer

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

I have had good very good experience of this even using XP with the same socket boards.

Out of interest, what motherboards (make & model numbers) were you using in each when you did the hard drive swap? G

Like this post
Ozy

Likes # 0

from km2m ms6738 Ver 1
to Via tech km266-8235

both have km in the name so i think they are
the same make.

yes i know they are very old boards,
but i would not mess about with newer ones

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

Both are socket-A motherboards.

'but i would not mess about with newer ones' - well, I have, & they work too :-), G

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...