We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

security on W.7

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

what firewalls, AV, spyware are you running on W7

Have you found any with unsolved issues.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

fogot to include does norton UAC tool work with W7?

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

I have tested various Security software both "free" and "paid for" on Windows7... and can report the following..AVG Free and Avira's most recent versions work well without any negative issues..and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 which is my personal favourite "paid for" version works faultlessly.
PCTools free Firewall and Anti virus also behaves well on 7!
On the whole...I've found Windows7 to be very "easy going" in its' acceptance of the many and varied applications I have tested on it.
Bear in mind though..Its the old story....it can depend a lot on what other software that users may have added to their machines too! Developers do a decent job overall of attempting to make applications that will coexist alongside each other...but if you look at "user reviews" on download sites..you will always see that some users will praise certain software ..and others won't allow it near their machines.
The Security programs I've stated above ...have all performed well on the three test machines I've tried them on..but a lot is down to personal taste too .Some beginners have trouble with Kaspersky 2009 and others struggle with AVG and Avira...So...if you are happy with the interface and the ease of configuration ...and virus detection capability of any of the above ..then any of these work quite happily on 7..Hope this helps?

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

NOD32 AV v4 works fine. I've found 7's UAC much less intrusive than Vista's; I haven't felt the need for Norton UAC so far and I've been doing a fair amount of admin tasks since upgrading Vista Business to 7 Enterprise on Friday - Vista would have driven me mad with UAC prompts in the same circumstances. 7 allows you more control over UAC too - a choice of 4 settings if I recall; I haven't felt the need to adjust it yet.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I'm using AVG Free, Spamfighter and SpywareBlaster in addition to the Windows firewall. I have turned off Windows Defender. All work perfectly.

Norton UAC will NOT work with Windows 7 but I understand that it is possible that one will be developed.

Windows UAC is still a bit of a nuisance and I cannot understand why Microsoft didn't give it a memory like the Norton version.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I have PC Tools 2009 package on 4 Windows7 PCs . all work just fine although you would be wise to turn off Windows Defender as it may conflict with PCT at some time.

My only concern is that Symantec have bought out PCTools. If Symantec start mucking about with it I shall look elsewhere

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

I have to agree with tigertop2 on the PCTools issue.I was always a big..big fan of Peter Nortons' programs ..then along came Symantec and screwed them with the "deep hooks into the registry" stuff ..I have long since decided that Symantec will have a job on getting my support back.The PCTools suite does run very sweetly on Windows 7 ..Lets' hope it stays that way eh?

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Zone Alarm doesn't work, nor do they seem very interested.

After many years they've lost me.

Like this post
ol blueeyes

Likes # 0

I tried Panda Anti-Virus from the suggestion Page of MICROSOFT after installing it on 3 occaisons MICROFT did not recognise it and they said I should go elsewhere.
Well if it a'int no good why recommend it.
But then that's MICROSOFT>

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Can Windows Defender be deleted or are we stuck with it the same as Vista.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

AVG works well

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Tips for selling on eBay: auction tactics to get the best price for second-hand products