We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which version do I buy

golfpro

Likes # 0

OK its early days, but I intended to pre order a version of windows 7 from Amazon to be sent when the program is released.
At present I am running new Net Book (Samsung NC10), with English XP installed this I will keep as is for the time being until we see what 7 is like. But I also have an Acer laptop (using this to replace my very old desk-top now), this came with a German version of Vista pre-installed which I hate. This is the one I would like to install the UK version of windows 7 on as a clean install. The question is which version do I go for, the Home Premium or the Professional which is over twice the price.
Also dose anyone know if the Windows Office 2007 of which I have a copy, which was created for Vista will load into 7.

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

For the home user, HP is plenty. Pro gives you XP Mode (easily replaced with VirtualBox and an old copy of XP), ability to join domains (not required for home PCs) and backup to networks. See the article to replicate some of those features if needed; click here

Compare versions; click here

Yes, Office 2007 works with W7.

Like this post
golfpro

Likes # 0

I think your right, I'm going to go for the HP, it seems to be the best and cheapest for my needs.
Anyway I will probably end up installing 7 on my net book in the near future if it works OK.
Thanks for the reply.

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

I have a strong felling that "Home Premium" is going to be the top seller ...For most users it "ticks the boxes" that most people will need .Anyone who has tweaked Vista and improved on its functionality since the early releases...shouldn't have a lot of trouble adding the extra features that the higher versions of Windows 7 offer! I did my fair share of "grumbling" and" Microsoft bashing" when Vista was first released..but I have to admit..on the whole..Windows7 Premium seems to fit my needs ......It really seems to me that Windows7 is how Vista should have been... if it hadn't been released in the form it originally was!

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

More detailed comparison chart at Wiki click here. G

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

Nice one Crossbow..that little list should cover all the bases !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes