We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will a "Beta" backup load/restore on full version?

KorgY

Likes # 0

Hello,

I have been testing Win 7 out now for a weeks and done the back-up (Image), to see how effective it is, and it worked flawlesly, over 200 gigs of files, games, programms (internet adaptor etc, all backed up and restored as if it was a system restore.!:)

However, when I buy the retail full version (when is it due - October?) will i be able to restore my image to the full version (7600 i believe) or have the versions got to be the same. Reason I ask this, is because I don't want to put 400-500 gigs of data, software on my Bata version, if I have to do it all over again (format etc) on Windows 7600 full version.

TIA

KorgY

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I would back up folders to another hdd or dvd to bve safe

Like this post
KorgY

Likes # 0

Hi,

Yes, they are backed up on a 750gig seagate drive, and i wouldn't call them "files" but an "image" in other words, you can't reinstall individual files with this method (you can select the other "file" method though.

KorgY

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

An image will only restore to the version you saved it as.

In order to have the latest Win7 version installed, you'll need to reinstall Win7 afresh with the DVD you receive in October.

If you haven't done so already, make sure to pre-order Win7 now, i.e. before 15/08/09 - as after this deadline the price increases considerably. Quite a few retailers doing Win7 pre-orders can be found in this thread click here. G

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

Due to Microsoft altering the specs regarding the EU releases...We are now told that the "E" suffix may be dropped on the European releases..
It may well be that Microsoft will also make other changes to the final release to manufacturing(RTM) as far as to what each version will have as standard functions etc;
Bear in mind that the RC Build7100 that most of us are using is the "Ultimate" version..and it has the "full works" so to speak...If you have ordered the Premium version...the Backup facilities offered in Premium are not as comprehensive as "Ultimate" and you may well need a third party software such as " Acronis True Image" in order to use Image Backup functions!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

with saved files - they're very different, as Crossbow7 has pointed out. Before you carry out a Windows 7 full version installation you should save all your data files to some kind of external media.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

use clone back up so you can pick what you want to restore no an image backup.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I have pre ordered Win 7, at the moment I am dual booting with Win 7RC1 and Vista.
For a start I intend to keep Vista as a dual boot, and install Win 7 on the partition I am using for the RC1 version.
I am not clear what you are saying, for example. If I clone (Acronis) Win 7 RCI, are you saying that I can transfer all the data to the new Windows 7. I am assuming not aplications.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

click here

this link advises on updating from xp & vista to w7 and if you look on right of screen near top there is a link yet to be activated for w7 to w7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia