We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 'XP Mode'

m800afc

Likes # 0

I have a two year old laptop, and a decent four year old desktop, networked, and running XP Pro SP3. I downloaded and installed W7 on both. Investigation showed that neither was capable of running Windows 7 'XP Mode'.
Therefore I am not going to buy a new laptop and desktop and ditch XP to use an OS that does not support any of my printers, all of which have a couple of years in them.
By the time I have run my hardware into the ground, we may well be on W9...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Surprised that your printers do not work in W7.
I have three printers, oldest 10 years newest five years,all worked on drivers within W7.
All programs running in XP all ran OK as well.

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

1. In order to utilize this tool you are require to have following hardware on your machine.
? Processor: Processor capable of hardware virtualization, with AMD-V™ or Intel® VT turned on in the BIOS.
? Memory: 2GB of memory recommended.
? Hard disk requirement: 20MB hard disk space for installing Windows Virtual PC. Additional 15GB of hard disk space per virtual Windows environment recommended.

2. Enable hardware virtualization in BIOS.

3. Next, you’ll need to install two software packages on your PC:

? Install the Windows Virtual PC , which is the virtualization software that powers “XP Mode”.
? Install the Windows XP Mode, which is a specially crafted XP virtual machine.

4. Once you’ve completed those steps and restarted your computer, run the Virtual Windows XP item in the start menu, add in a password and make sure to choose to remember the credentials if you want the integration features to work smoothly.

5. Once the wizard is complete, you will see a dialog that sets up XP for use.

6. Install your applications in Windows XP.

7. Once your applications are installed and shortcuts are in the All Users start menu, they will show up in the Windows 7 start menu under the Windows Virtual PC -> Virtual Windows XP Applications folder.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Windows XP Mode is a downloadable add-on for Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise. It has two parts: the virtualization software itself, and a disk image containing a pre-installed, activated, licensed copy of Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 preinstalled, complete with the glorious Internet Explorer 6. Windows XP Mode uses virtualization technology to let applications running on a virtualized copy of Windows XP show up in the Windows 7 Start menu and on the Windows 7 desktop.

Like this post
KremmenUK

Likes # 0

I'm also surprised about printers not working. Both my aged printers are working fine. Win 7 has a fair few printers built in on the standard build and if it's not there another download from Microsoft adds loads more.

My 1994 HP LaserJet 4L is amongst the models that needed the additional download and works 100%.

I've also not yet found any problems in any of my old programs running under Win 7 32bit. I have about 5 programs that the Microsoft compatibility checker said 'no way' but they all installed and run fine under the standard compatibility mode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015