We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive Letter Limit?

olyman

Likes # 0

Is there a limit to the number of drive letters allocated to drives?
I have just bought a USB SDHC Card Reader.
I previously had drive letters allocated from C to M
When I plugged it in I found I had lost a partition on my external HD as the device had used one of the partition letters - the external HD had not been switched on.
In Computer Management I found that the external partition had been changed to N but it didn't show up as such in Computer. I got the partition access back by changing the drive letter to it's former designation . The USB reader then showed up as N in Computer management but was not visible in Computer.
I have now changed the new device letter to A as I have no floppy drive.
I can now access all drives and card readers from Computer. I should explain that I have two internal drives with partitions C,D and E, a built in Card Reader using G,H,I and J, external drive K and L, two DVD drives F and M and now the new Card Reader A. All now show in Computer but Reader A does not Auto Run.
As I will be using the Reader for photo access so I really need it to Auto Run.
Any suggestions or explanations would be welcome.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Almost sounds like a power supply issue???

Like this post
olyman

Likes # 0

AutoRun now works, not sure why!
All the drives are working so power not a problem.
Still puzzled by having to allocate to the unused "A" designation. Only"B"left now

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You may find reading through this interesting

click here

Like this post
olyman

Likes # 0

Thanks Sea Urchin.
I now have the full alphabet at my disposal!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote