We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Folder?

holburn

Likes # 0

Have a MS hotfix ready to download via a link in my e-mail and have reached a stumbling block. A window pops up and asks me to "Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to" This is followed by "C:\" and my problem is, what to key in. I have no idea where to find such a number (if it is a number). Can you help me?

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. I got the hotfix from here-click here

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

...what your original problem was and what steps you took to resolve it leading to the predicament you find yourself in.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Do you really think that the information I got here (click here) is spam or junk?

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Sorry Pineman, i really should have posted the problem. At the beginning of the week it was taking so long for my computer to start - it was hanging at the loading bar - that I began to leave it on 24/7. I then discovered the hotfix and the rest is above. Thanks for your reply.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

The files have now all been successfully unzipped. Does the fix now work away in the background or do I have to do something to apply it?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Once the files have been unzipped (to a folder?) you should find an 'application' file (.exe) amongst them which you double click on to install the hotfix.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have tried to replicate what you have done and downloaded the hotfix from Microsoft.

What a complicated process!

I can now see why you had problems dealing with it.

In fact even though I appeared to have extracted the files, despite being asked for a password, I can't find them as the folder I sent them to is empty.

What a pigs breakfast. You can always rely on Microsoft to make something, that should be really easy, very difficult!

For those that considered this spam I can confirm it's definitelt not!! (it's worse)

Let me know how you are getting on.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I think it was the fact that the fix came via e-mail that threw the others. Anyway, still cant get it going.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

It gets worse. Finally found it in the folder, double clicked and eureka - the e-mail comes up.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I hate to admit it but it's got me beat!

Try Microsofts forum click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...