We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Folder?

holburn

Likes # 0

Have a MS hotfix ready to download via a link in my e-mail and have reached a stumbling block. A window pops up and asks me to "Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to" This is followed by "C:\" and my problem is, what to key in. I have no idea where to find such a number (if it is a number). Can you help me?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

??? never had a MS hot fix via e-mail link seems strange.What is the hot fix and who sent the e-mail???

But to answer your question you can save it to any folder you sellect.

Usually you get a window saying Run, save, cancel click on save opens another window. If you look to the botton left you will see browes folders, click on this and you can sellect where you want to save the file.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Hi Brynit and thank u for your reply. The fix is from MS and did come via a link in an e-mail from them. Following your instrutions I saved the fix to the desktop but when I click on the icon I still get the dialogue box(?) asking me to complete "C:\........." and I still dont know what to type in here.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Right clicked on the icon, then left on run but still asked for location details ie "C:\?????????".

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Right click on the icon and then select 'Extract All'. When asked where to unzip to, browse for desktop. After the extraction you should have another folder on your desktop with the extracted files in it.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Thanks for replying.If you mean the icon on the desktop, when I right click I dont get the option to extract all.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

This is what I have to fill in. Where do I get the information?[IMG]click here[/IMG]

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

You're 'click here' doesn't work.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Hi Pine man. Sorry about the link - have lost all of my photobucket stuff. The window merely displayed what I included in my first posting - "C:\???????????". I need to know what to type in where I put the ? marks. I did get a message saying that the items had been assimilated into my computer but I dont know how to get the Hotfix to apply itself.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Microsoft are not in the habit of sending you links in emails - unless perhaps it is in response to a query you made to them. Even then they generally point you to a link on their website.

There is a virus doing the rounds at the moment, which comes in the form of an email from Microsoft - needless to say it's not genuine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As to your original post it's good to know you don't know where to unzip or extract the folder to..
Treat the email as 'spam' or 'junk' and forget about it.
Any updates from Microsoft comes from Microsoft updates from within the browser in XP or from 'Updates' in the Start list in Vista.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK