We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft (apparently) relent over IE8 problems

GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

It's reported on another tech site today that Microsoft are now going to offer EU users a choice of browsers at install (whether physically on the disc or via Dynamic Update it doesn't make clear) since NO browser at all was not what the Commission wanted since that offered less choice, not more, to the consumer - and could cause confusion....COULD? There's the understatement of the year I feel.

Anyway, if links to external sites are allowed, click here

Can't vouch for the validity of the story, but a good move if true.

Personally I'll probably stick with IE, then try another one later (usually Safari to be honest)

Like this post
GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

"Oh and whats wrong with Firefox, just kidding.
"

Yeah yeah OK.... (goes and shoots himself for being dense)

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

Oh and whats wrong with Firefox, just kidding.
the whole antitrust case has been nothing but an amusing saga .its staggering ,the amount of time and money wasted arguing about the inclusion or not of IE 8 etc . when all a user has to do is install whatever browser they like and make that default .
we can even go as far as to create our own installation discs using vlite or 7lite ,and remove a number of offending microsoft programs .
so who cares.
at least if it comes with IE 8 included you can go online and browse for a different browser.

farcical!!!

Like this post
GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

You're not wrong. I'm waiting for the final stage in all this where the EU turn round and tell Microsoft that when anyone buys a Windows OS they have to provide an option for someone to install Linux, Google's rumoured OS or something else instead of the OS they've just paid for.

It baffles me how the EU can make a ruling like this and yet Apple can bundle anything they want with their OS and nothing's said.

I'm guessing the ballot screen will be more along the lines of:

Which Internet Browser do you want to install?

1) None (default)
2) Internet Explorer
3) Opera
4) Safari
5) Chrome

and the one selected will be downloaded and installed at that time. At least it should cause less confusion than the likes of my parents installing it and finding there's no browser and by then they can't get one.

Be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Interesting article.

I suppose the 'ballot screen' referred to could also ask things like:-

Do you want our media player?
Do you want our DVD writing program?
Do you want our word processing program?
Do you want our spyware program?
Do you want our defrag program?
Do you want our Paint program?

The list could go on and on as a lot of the programs installed by Windows are also provided by independant companies. It just indicates what a crazy (european) world we live in!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen