We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7, 64bit and older software

MrNewName

Likes # 0

I have pre-ordered home premium version W7 to install on a new 64bit machine which I hope to get in mid-Oct.

I have a few queries which I can't seem to find answered:

1 - how will WindowsUpdate be available should I choose not to install Internet Explorer? I use Firefox and am pleased with it - I only use IE for WindowsUpdate.

2 - where can I find a list of software that runs (or perhaps doesn't run) on W7? Are there many compatibility issues? I don't run anything out of the ordinary so I'm not too concerned about this.

3 - if I install the 64bit version and don't activate it, can I (within 30 days) format and install the 32bit version if necessary?

4 - main use will be Adobe Lighroom and possibly Photoshop or equivalent so how will it run on the following:

Processor Intel Q9550 Core 2 Quad Processor
Processor Speed 4 X 2.83GHz
Memory 4GB DDR2 800MHz Ram
Hard Drive 500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-E Graphics
Drive 1 22x Dual Layer +R/-R/RW DVD burner
Drive 2 NA
Sound 7.1 channel Audio by Realtek® ALC888-GR
Motherboard Intel® G43 + ICH10
Case ATX Midi Tower Case
Drive Bays 3 x 5.25", 4 x 3.5" (2xInt, 2xExt)
Memory Slots 2 x DDR2 Slots
Memory Capacity 8GB
Networking Port Gigabit LAN by Realtek®RTL8111B-VC-GR
Front Side Bus Supports 1333 / 1066 / 800 / 533 MHz

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

1 as far as I know WindowsUpdate is a program on its own and will be able to check for updates even if you have no browser .as microsoft and eu have not yet sorted all the details ,maybe you will have a choice of browsers through windows update . just a thought.
2. I dont know for any lists ,but I have tested extensively all the later versions of windows7 in 32 and 64bit .in 32 bit everything works as it did in vista including all my hardware drivers .64 bit wont accept unsigned drivers and has refused several drivers of mine ,I cannot get either of my wireless internet adapters to work .
3. install the 64bit version ,dont use the product key you will have 30 days to test ,if you dont want to keep it simply remove ,microsoft will be none the wiser ,if you install either without using the product key you will be able to do this .once the key is registered ,the key you use will be locked to that system (32 or64) and you wont be able to change. although the wording of the EULA suggests differently ,I believe that to be the case .
4. it should run superbly on your specs. it is noticably faster than vista , and uses memory and multicore processors better .

Like this post
MrNewName

Likes # 0

merlinx

Thanks for that, in particular #3 hint about not using the product key. Does that I mean I can install it without a key and wait until activation time before entering the key?

I always thought that windows update was tied into IE for some reason; good that it's not any more.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite