We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can i return to factory restore

emsa

Likes # 0

Hi,
I upgraded form windows xp to vista home premium using windows upgrade disc some time ago. Now i am having problems & wish to restore to factory conditions.I have a dell dimension 5150c which has a built in recovery partition ( which i have done before) my question is, is the dell recovery still in my hard drive since i upgraded. I do not want to take a chance & find out it is gone. I have tried to search for it but, unable to find, any help please.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Sorry if I'm a bit thick but I'm not sure what help you want.

If you have upgraded from XP to Vista it is likely you have lost it.

If you have tried the Dell method (I believe F10) and nothing happens that confirms that it has probably gone.

I am not sure what you mean about not wanting to take a chance.

Like this post
LinH

Likes # 0

The recovery program is on a hidden partition (that's why you can't find it), so should not be affected by any alteration to the primary drive - usually 'C'.

Did you not get a recovery disk when you bought the Dell? Failing that you are usually given the option to create a set of recovery disks for just such a situation.

Like Pine Man I'm also confused by your not wanting to take a chance, take a chance on what?

LinH

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

You can always do a clean install of Vista from an upgrade disk if you want, if that would be another option. IMO (I know many disagree) Vista's streets ahead of XP for staility etc. And it's much nicer to use :)
As to the recovery partition, it's almost certainly intact, and should be visible using Acronis or similar. Whether you can access it though is another matter. You will have to consult the Dell manual for recovery options and you may need to ensure the BIOS is set to allow Disk to Disk recovery or whatever Dell call it.

Like this post
Jim_F

Likes # 0

Dell restore works by pressing Ctrl/F11 from the Dell splash screen.

click here

Please be careful as this wipes everything from the Windows partition -usually the C: drive.

Theres another link below for how to restore manually - this shouldn't be needed unless you removed the hidden partition when you upgraded.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

If you right click "Computer"/Manage/Disk Management,all partitions should show,at least it does on mine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...