We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Home Premium 32 Starting Problem

holburn

Likes # 0

When I start computer the loading stops at the green loading bar and I have to switch off. Then a repair comes followed by a system restore. Only started on monday but is such a pain that will leave computer on 24/7 from now. Does anyone else have a startup problem like this.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Nope, try running sfc utility to repair damaged files.
1st run a disk check. Computer, Right click C drive, properties, tools, error checking. Make sure both boxes ticked and restart. Takes around 50 minutes

Then when it's re booted click the start orb, type cmd.exe and right click to run as admin.
Type exactly,
sfc /SCANNOW and press enter to run a system files check. Takes around 30 mins +
Nothing to lose doing this.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Thanks for replying. I did a disk chech ysterday with nothing found. tried a restart this morning with same problem happening.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Did you you run "sfc" ?
Could it be a driver conflict... have you made any changes recently, or updated drivers.
Can you restore back manually (choose your own restore point) to a time before this problem occured.

Like this post
holburn

Likes # 0

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I've been getting a well earned sun tan. I really thought that someone with the same problem would come up with an answer and because they have not my computer is never switched off. Thank you for your replies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?