We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can i install W7 on my 2nd HDD & keep vista.

sype

Likes # 0

Can i install windows 7 on my second hard drive and leave Vista intact on my first hard drive. Then pick which drive to boot from as the pc boots up?
Also can i install the 64bit version of windows7 when the vista im using is 32bit?

Like this post
GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

Certainly as far as Q1 goes, the answer's yes. Many are using the RC on a seperate HDD/Partition so I don't see the full version being any different.

As for Q2, my first response would be yes - the 2 OS are independent so don't share anything other than the boot menu which will be in Vista and loads before anything else. No doubt someone with a bit more knowledge will confirm or otherwise.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

What you are describing is a dual-boot system and as Grumpy Trucker states Vista will start to load first before asking which o/s you want. This is not necessarily the best way to do it.

As you have two hard drives you may be better off getting a 'boot manager' which appears on your screen when you first switch on and asks you which drive you want to boot from. This has the advantage of both systems being completely independant of each other and NOT changing the MBR on the primary drive.

I have this set up and with my boot manager I press F8 when my PC is switched on and then get a list of drives (not operating systems) to choose from.

Like this post
Spark6

Likes # 0

XP Pro on Sata 1, 7 RC on Sata 3, I need a free reliable boot manager. Any recommendations?

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

Acronis is one of the best...but not free I'm afraid....This is the only "free" Manager that looked anything like decent..
it's a very simple basic interface ..I've heard it does the job...and it may be what you are looking for..click here

Have a look at the details on the site and see what you think..I'm sure you already know that Boot Sector changes can leave you unable to access your O/S if you make a mistake..so approach it carefully and take your time.:)

Like this post
Spark6

Likes # 0

Unfortunately your link takes me to redirecting.com which fails to open. Thanks for the try!

Like this post
Spark6

Likes # 0

I'm obviously doing something stupidly wrong trying to dual boot the XP Pro and 7 RC with EasyBCD because I failed dismally.
I have now removed the 7 RC drive and installed it in my second machine running Vista. Computer shows Vista on C: and 7 RC on D:. Downloaded and installed EasyBCD on C: but I still do not have a dual-boot facility.
Any advice out there?

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

Hi Spark6...Have checked the link I posted and it works fine when I access it from the Forum "live link" ?
Try googling "plop.at" or go to...................plop.at/en/bootmanager.html..Good Luck !

Like this post
Spark6

Likes # 0

I bit the bullet, formatted drive D: and re-installed 7 with C: connected and running Vista. Needless to say, I ensured I had an Acronis backup of Vista beforehand.

I now have a choice, via the EasyBCD boot manager, of Vista or 7 RC. Looking forward to my pre-booked copy of 7 later this year and feeling more confident about it.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Good news - only (windows) 7 weeks to go:-))

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

No special software is needed. I have Vista & W7 on two separate drives. I can press F12 when the BIOS is loading and it shows each hard drive and I can then select which one to boot from. I prefer this as I don't want to get prompted each time I start up/reboot if I'm not changing OS's.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow