We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7E & IE8 options

jjss

Likes # 0

From click here and click here it appears that Windows 7E will have IE8 within the software, you have to opt to load it via a “switch”. I may have misunderstood what these articles are saying of course.
I have found a “kill switch” within the Windows 7 evaluation that I’m currently running (control panel/programs and features/turn windows features on or off). If MS are going to use this method of “opting in” to IE8 with Win7E it would certainly help those amongst us that are not so tech savvy.
Personally I shall be downloading a copy of IE8 for Win7E a little nearer to 22 Oct just in case.
Jack

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'I may have misunderstood what these articles are saying'

I think you have.

My understanding of the Windows 7 'E' packs is that there will be no browser at all or even a Mail program.

The links you provide, in my opinion, refer to installations that will be allowed to contain IE8 (non 'E') but will allow you to make the decision to set it as default or leave your existing, alternative browser as default.

Like this post
jjss

Likes # 0

Pine Man
You may be right, and in fairness your opinion is how I first understood things.

What made me rethink the possiblities is that it was the CEO of Opera refering to Win7E questioning if MS had gone far enough as far as the EU rulings etc., hence the title of one of the articles - "Opera slams Microsoft's Windows 7 E move - again".

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

"Opera slams Microsoft's Windows 7 E move - again".

Well they would, wouldn't they!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad