We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Evaluating Win 7

donki

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

My current set up is has 2 HD's one is 250GB which has my XP on it with a recovery partition and a basic one. The other HD is 500GB and is not partitioned and stores all my music, films, media etc, can I download an evaluation version of Win 7 to try it and if so can I install it on my 500GB HD if I partitioned it in half, how do i do this? This may seem a stupid qustion but I know very little of partitions or installing operating systems.

If I like Win 7 and go ahead and upgrade to it alone removing my XP completely is there anyway of gettign it back in the future, I have no disk as it was already installed when I got the computer.

I have a 4200 dual core, 2 gig of ram (which I would upgrade to 4 if i go for win 7) and a 8800 GTS 640mg will i notice much of a performance drop as my XP runs like a dream and all the games/applications I use run well.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

Donki

The info on the site seems to imply that XP will be fine - it even says "Whether you just want to add an entry to your old XP partition or ...." so I doubt you'll have an issue

Quiet Life

Got a link to your original problem?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

If you google 'fix mbr xp' you will get loads of sites and amongst them you will find some instructions on how to do it without a disk.

If you don't want to mess with the mbr it is possible to modify the dual boot request by reducing the amount of time it is displayed to zero so that you don't actually see it BUT it will still be there.

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

donki
Yes works on XP and although it says upto Vista it also seems to work ok on W7

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

grumpy trucker
click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'