We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Evaluating Win 7

donki

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

My current set up is has 2 HD's one is 250GB which has my XP on it with a recovery partition and a basic one. The other HD is 500GB and is not partitioned and stores all my music, films, media etc, can I download an evaluation version of Win 7 to try it and if so can I install it on my 500GB HD if I partitioned it in half, how do i do this? This may seem a stupid qustion but I know very little of partitions or installing operating systems.

If I like Win 7 and go ahead and upgrade to it alone removing my XP completely is there anyway of gettign it back in the future, I have no disk as it was already installed when I got the computer.

I have a 4200 dual core, 2 gig of ram (which I would upgrade to 4 if i go for win 7) and a 8800 GTS 640mg will i notice much of a performance drop as my XP runs like a dream and all the games/applications I use run well.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
dth

Likes # 0

If everything is running well I wouldn't bother with Win 7. General feedback so far for Win 7 has been positive and I would agree with that - as I have be using the Release Candidate on my laptop.

But since everything is working well on your computer - I would suggest that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

If you do decide to give it a try - you should install it on your first drive (Windows does not like being installed on a second drive - as it gets a bit confused). It makes sense to leave your second partition alone regardless - since it has all your data on.

If you look through the Windows 7 forum you will find a guide on how to set up a dual boot system - so that when you switch on your computer you will get a menu to choose whether to start XP or Win 7.

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply I will look for the dual boot thread, I have 2 sata drives so none is really the second drive if i undertsand correctly.

There is alot more space on my 500GB drive, it shouldnt need to be formatted before I install it should it? I think I will just partition the "Media" drive in half keeping my media files in one half and install Win 7 on the other..... does that make since? Then I will have an operating syatem on each drice and I can pick between the two.

I just want to try it really, see what it looked like, I wasnt that impressed with Vista and soon reverted back to XP.

Like this post
dth

Likes # 0

You will only need about 20 gb to install Win 7 - personally I would be a bit reluctant to do anything with the main media drive on a just 'in case' basis.

If you weren't that impressed with vista - I would guess that you will like Win 7. Many comments have been along the lines of 'what vista should have been' and I wouldn't disagree. Although whether it offers that much more than XP the jury is still out. On the other hand with the current offer of £50 for Win 7 - it is difficult to argue against it.

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

Thanks,

From my understanding the "trial" of windows 7 will be unavailable for download after July so I might as well give it a go. As you say its a snip at £50.

Last question, if I did chose to install win7 on the media drive, or another internal blank drive will i still get the option of picking what OS to boot up with, or do they both need to be on the same drive?

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

Well i had another HD lying about the house so installed the evaluation copy on it and I have to say I am impressed, very smooth and very fast, so I may purchase.

One thing Now I have 3 HDs in my case but only have 2 free power cables ( I will buy a spliter), my questionis whoever whn I have my XP drive in and my media drive in, the Win7 drive isnt, I still get asked which version I want to boot up in :S. I thought I would only get this option if the Win7 drive was installed? Is it because I im using the same sata pot on my mother board for both the Win7 drive and the Media drive? I have 2 other free port but thought Id aks first before trying.

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

ok guys I have made a booh booh pls pls healp, for sum reason I went in and deleted files from my C: drive (files which were put there for duel boot i presume) and now I cant boot onto XP only Win7, I know I am an idiot but can this be fixed?

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

Booh booh fixed, why am i still getting an option to duel boot when the WIN7 Derive isnt installed?

Thanks

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'why am i still getting an option to duel boot when the WIN7 Derive isnt installed?'

Because when you installed Windows 7 on your secondary drive the boot sequence was modified on your primary drive.

To change the boot sequence you need to carry out a 'repair' using your XP disk in the primary drive.

I also have two HDs with Vista on one and Windows 7 on the other BUT I have a boot manager which allows me to select which drive I want to use at startup up. This way neither drive is dependant on the other.

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

click here
This free utility is good for adjusting the boot sequence. When installing W7RC it would not recognise my second internal drive so I partitioned my first drive which had XP on it and installed it there. No problems at all and is certainly a big improvement on Vista.
W7 will still not see my second drive and I do not know why. Nobody seems to have an answer to this problem.

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

Now that I have installed WIN7 on another drive is there now way 2 fix the boot sequence? My XP is OEM so I have no option to repair or even reinstall. What happens if I want to remove WIN 7 from the sencond drive completely??? Please tell me I havn't created a huge problem for myself.

Quiet Life

Thansk for the link, I use XP thou not vista, will it still work?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED