We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will I be Legal

ol blueeyes

Likes # 0

If I install a legitimate copy of Windows 7 on Computer (A) then remove Hard Drive and put into Computer (B) because it is a better Computer aprt from size of Hard Drive. Am I Legal ?
I ask this question purely out of interest because Microsoft have thought of most things but have they thought of this ?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Yes, unless it is OEM when that version is introduced.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

I di dread something that the retail editions would be valid for 3 pc's, but can't seem to fnd the article now.

However, transferring the hard drive may not be entirely simple as the installation won't be set-up to the other computer.

Like this post
mehtdosa11

Likes # 0

i think with the 3 pc's one Microsoft are supposed to be bringing out a 'family licence version' i.e for 3 computers in the same household, although how they would enforce it i don't know. rumour has it it will be about $149 in the usa. but more expensive over here of course.
if you put the hard drive from one computer into another it may not work as the hard drive will be set up with all the hardware drivers for the original one. you could try and download them from the makers web-site.
supposedly when you register/activate a copy of windows it is linked to that one computer...you could try and do a fresh install on the b one but it may not activate windows properly when you try.

although of course if you put the a hard drive in to computer b, and then loaded windows straight onto that, it should work ok. although there may be some problems with some hardware drivers, which can be solved as previously mentioned.[or indeed if you the original drivers disc for that computer]

Like this post
ol blueeyes

Likes # 0

Well I have actually done as I suggested with the Trial edition of Windows 7 and all worked AOK without any problems what soever.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Thats interesting to hear. I'm wondering if there's a difference in the way that the HAL is working on W7....that sounds like a job for this afternoon!

Like this post
ol blueeyes

Likes # 0

TO OTT_Buzzard

Lets know how you get on

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made