We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista and older games..

izzi81

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm about to get a new laptop for myself and it's probably going to have Vista installed. For most people this wouldn't even be an issue, but I'm a fan of older PC games. Bear with me here... but I like playing games like Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Vegas Make it Big, Hotel Giant etc. I have consoles to play more 'current' games, but I do like the older 'tycoon' games on the PC! However I've read a few comments about issues running these games on Vista, and it doesn't look like there are always patches available. Is there a solution, or should I wipe Vista and put XP on instead?
(the laptop is mainly for work.. typing up reports, bit of web browsing and the occasional old game and that's it!)

Like this post
babybell

Likes # 0

I've found that Theme Park only works by using a Dos Emulator in vista, and even then I have to slow the CPU setting right down to get it to work and even then it is jumpy.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I play a ot of older games. I only found 2 that wouldn't install.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

After installing your game,right click on it's shortcut and click on properties. Then the compatability tab and put a tick in the "run this programme in compatability mode for" box and then choose Windows xp in the drop down menu.
All should then work ok with Vista.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone