We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How many activations on Windows 7 Pro E retail?

Guybrush1

Likes # 0

Hi there

I wonder if you can advise how many activations. can have with my retail copy of Windows 7 Pro E I have pre-ordered.

I have always bought OEM but with the deals out there I couldn't risk actually owning a retail copy and having the luxury of being able to upgrade my mobo and still have a legit copy of Windows.

The question is, I have two PC's - mine which the main install will be going on and my girlfriends which is running Vista. Will I be able to install on both or do I need two purchase another copy as with OEM?

Thanks in advance

Guybrush1

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

As its retail it should be endless amount of times.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Sorry.

you can only activate endlessly on ONE machine . If you want it on the other you have to get rid of it on the other. So yes two copies.

Like this post
malgall

Likes # 0

i have read that you will be able to buy a copy for use on more than one computer
but your normal version is for one pc only

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

will be for installation on one machine only.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

you can purchase a licience from microsoft for up to 3 computers I believe.
I think its called a (family pack)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Looks like the Family pack will be on sale.
click here

Like this post
Guybrush1

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your advice

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

I too heard about the Family pack, and have a desktop and a laptop. Not trusting 'The Great Satan - AKA microsoft - I bought 2 Home Premium copies last week from Amazon for £65 each, as against having to wait for and take a chance on the £150 Family pack. No brainer, isn't it???

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?