We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 & XP mode

2neat

Likes # 0

I have purchased 7 'home' edition from Curry's. I belive this is the retail version & not OEM.
My question is can I install the XP on this laptop into Windows virtual PC? It might come in handy if I have any hard/soft that is not compatible.
Paid about £45 which I hope I dont regret. Ran the Win 7 check utility & one or 2 drivers will need upgrading. Lappy is a Dell Inspiron 1.7G 2G RAM & X300 graphic card.
Regards

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

What I did was using Easeus Partition Mgr. (free)
click here
create two new partitions. Moved My Docs over to one (Googling this will bring up how to do it) and installed W7 to the second new partition.
W7 will create a dual boot master boot record leaving your XP as it is.

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista

click here

Like this post
2neat

Likes # 0

Thanks. I think the dual boot option is the best. I have used virtual PC with Win 98 SE. It works well but can be a little laggy. It also uses up quite a bit of CPU/RAM.
Think I might get on with it and download Win 7 RC to have a look.

Cheers

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

I think you would like win7 I have been using it since the RC version came out and no

problems installing XP or Vista software

Take a read at this site it will help to get you started using win7

Windows 7 guide: Installation

click here

Also Windows 7 Forums has lots of information and tweak on win7

click here

Enjoy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK