We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

European Windows 7 without Browser

100andthirty

Likes # 0

If Windows 7 is to be shipped without Internet Explorer, how does one obtain a browser? the obvious answer is that one should download it from the Internet. But without a browser, how do you do it?

Is there a way that doesn't involve using another computer an/or messing around with burning ISO images?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

For Information Purposes.

IE8 for Vista will not install on Windows 7n. The easy solution is just to copy iexplorer.exe from Vista and just plonk it into the same folder found on Windows 7n.

(%Systemroot%\Program Files\Internet Explorer) 32Bit Version

Then just double click.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

good tip thanks

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

How to download a browser in Windows7 without a browser

click here

Like this post
GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

Nope, it doesn't. In fact, the RC version doesn't even come with WIndows Mail. The default is to use a web based email system (Windows Live Mail). You can download an email program which is like the next gen of Windows Mail but you need a browser to do it! So, unless you've previously downloaded a browser and saved it to some form of external device a new Windows 7 install will be stuck with no browser and (unless they change it in the final release) no email program.

Good thinking guys. Flipping EU. Knickers in a knot over nothing and now it's gonna cause a lot of confusion when 7 rolls out.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

does windows mail in w7 have a browsing function?

I'm sure in the past outlook had something similar, this could be used to download a browser.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I was jesting about putting Firefox on it, but it could come true click here

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Maybe they should put Firefox on it :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

"Without a browser, would it still connect via windows update ?" - I guess so, as Win7 RC updater doesn't seem to need one.

"And if so would IE8 be a recommended update ?" - good question :-), G

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Without a browser, would it still connect via windows update ?
And if so would IE8 be a recommended update ?

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

"i can see this being a pretty silly move for non tech people" - I agree.

Be aware there's also a less common 'N' version available that doesn't some with Windows Media Player either click here:

'Does not contain an Internet browser or Windows Media player'

Not as bad as not having a browser - but BOTH missing may be a bit too much for some? G

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home