We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

European Windows 7 without Browser

100andthirty

Likes # 0

If Windows 7 is to be shipped without Internet Explorer, how does one obtain a browser? the obvious answer is that one should download it from the Internet. But without a browser, how do you do it?

Is there a way that doesn't involve using another computer an/or messing around with burning ISO images?

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

Microsoft confirmed late on Friday that it plans to kill off the Windows 7 'E' version for Europe.

In a statement a company official confirmed Windows 7 E is no more:

In the wake of last week's developments, as well as continuing feedback on Windows 7 E that we have received from computer manufacturers and other business partners, I'm pleased to report that we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe in October that we will ship in the rest of the world.

One reason we decided not to ship Windows 7 'E' is concerns raised by computer manufacturers and partners. Several worried about the complexity of changing the version of Windows that we ship in Europe if our ballot screen proposal is ultimately accepted by the Commission and we stop selling Windows 7 'E'. Computer manufacturers and our partners also warned that introducing Windows 7 'E', only to later replace it with a version of Windows 7 that includes IE, could confuse consumers about what version of Windows to buy with their PCs.

Microsoft has proposed to the EU, the idea of a ballot screen to showcase different browsers that end users can select. Earlier this week Microsoft officials confirmed this ballot screen will be available for XP and Vista users too.

According to CNET those who pre-ordered Windows 7 'E' through a recent discount offer will get the full version, as Microsoft had promised. Microsoft will now be selling Windows 7 upgrade copies and a higher-priced full version (for those without a previous copy of Windows) similar to the rest of the world.

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

no full version, im getting 2 refunds back!

full version is what i paid for! thers no other way around it surely?

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

CNET say "Those who pre-ordered Windows 7 "E" through a recent discount offer will get the full version, as Microsoft had promised."

Like this post
GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

Interesting thing now is, if the 'E' version does end up dead in the water, I wonder what will happen to all those pre-order cut price upgrades? Will the price go up to reflect it not being W7E? Knowing our retailers, almost certainly.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

.. buying an Apple Computer and then installing an Apple o/s and getting the option of installing Internet Explorer, Chrome and FireFox during the installation;-))

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Yes, thanks for the clarification.

As a mere consumer of such products I am happy with the outcome of a ballot screen. I have found the exchanges between MS and the EU most interesting not the least because the consumers interests appears to have taken, or rather been given, a back seat at times.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Microsoft won't have the last say - there's an EU decision pending, and only last week the European Commission issued a press statement saying:

"The Commission welcomes this proposal [that there would be a browser option in the installation routine], and will now investigate its practical effectiveness in terms of ensuring genuine consumer choice."

The bracketed text is mine.

Eventually the Commission will issue a decision, and if it accepts the browser list proposal Microsoft will have no choice - the European version of Windows 7 will have to be different from all others if it is to be allowed on sale in EU countries.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Microsoft have said "In the wake of last week's developments, as well as continuing feedback on Windows 7 E that we have received from computer manufacturers and other business partners, I'm pleased to report that we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe in October that we will ship in the rest of the world.

One reason we decided not to ship Windows 7 'E' is concerns raised by computer manufacturers and partners. Several worried about the complexity of changing the version of Windows that we ship in Europe if our ballot screen proposal is ultimately accepted by the Commission and we stop selling Windows 7 'E'. Computer manufacturers and our partners also warned that introducing Windows 7 'E', only to later replace it with a version of Windows 7 that includes IE, could confuse consumers about what version of Windows to buy with their PCs.2

according to Paul Thurrott.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Just do a search for KB968771.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

that the Windows 7 installer will ask you to select the browser of your choice from a list. It will then use your internet connection to toddle off and download the latest compatible version, and install it as part of the Windows installation routine.

My guess is that Microsoft will have copies of the latest compatible versions of the various browsers sitting on its own European servers, ready for the expected high volume of downloads.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia