We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 64 bit version?

TopCat®

Likes # 0

I currently have Win XP and I'm considering pre-ordering Win7 Professional e. Is there a 64 bit version of this O/S available, please, as I want to take advantage of the extra recognised memory option this gives. The O/S will be installed on a new top grade Intel i7 920 CPU computer which will also be used for the latest games.

I'm going for the professional version of Win7 as it will allow me to run some Windows XP productivity apps. I appreciate any useful pros and cons on my O/S selection and many thanks for your help. TC.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

the disc you purchase but as merlinx points out above, only one license can be used which is the one you've paid for. TC.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

As a matter of interest I tried to buy from Amazon, but all I got was a promise to e-mail me when the software becomes available, which was not quite what I was looking for, and which I have no doubt will be fairly well publicised anyway!

Like this post
Waldoc85

Likes # 0

PC World were still taking orders this afternoon and still at the £45 price.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

That's because Amazon has sold out its pre-order allocation.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

I thought of that, but I did place my order fairly early on 15th at a time when other people, on this and other forums, were still saying they were buying from Amazon.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Damn, you were just unlucky then, i ordered two 7 pro's from Canada on Amazon uk on the 15th and was succesful, as Canada is 5 hours ahead of the uk, i guess it was just luck of the draw as i assume you ordered before me as when i did it must of been about 10pm uk time.
I had an email saying than you for your order ( and payment) delivery est 22nd october.

Like this post
phoenix198

Likes # 0

Read the product description on Amazon in full. It clearly states that you will receive both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on discs when you buy Windows 7E Home Premium. Its up to you which one you install.

Not sure how the CD-key and licensing will work on this but I imagine that there will be a single product key which is checked for multiple installations during product activation.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Thanks for clarifying.

The fact Amazon are stating facts though shows how little MS are telling everyone at present, no wonder everyones so puzzled at present.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

"....no wonder everyones so puzzled at present." - I think it's fair to say that Microsoft are puzzled themselves. G

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone