We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 pre release

Davith

Likes # 0

Running the release candidate and appears fine. The early release versions appear to offer Windows7 Home Premium and Professional. My XP software appears OK on RC1 but this is shows on desktop as being the Ultimate version. I assume if I get the professional release these programs will still run but the home premium appears to require an XP simulation.
Do features such as the backup application appear in all versions? So many questions not easy to get answers! The various comparison chart do not help much either. As the difference in features between Home and Pro versions are not clearly shown.

Thoughts anyone please.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

The chart at Wiki should help with the differences click here.

The XP programs you're successfully running at the moment on Ultimate are most probably not running in 'XP mode'. To be running them in XP mode you should have:

1. Downloaded &/or manually installed Windows Virtual PC click here & used it to create a virtual hard disk, etc

2. Prior to this, checked if your CPU natively supports hardware virtualisation technology (HVT). Even if it does, sometimes it may need need to be manually enabled in the BIOS. A tool to quickly check if your CPU supports this feature - SecurAble click here

G

Like this post
Davith

Likes # 0

Thanks crossbow7. If my XP apps run apparently OK in Win 7 Ultimate why to I need to use XP MODE or is this a specific requirement in W7 home premium or W7 Professional?

Old apps so far run on my W7 system are MS Office 2000, MS Money 2005, Turbo CAD 8! My LAN links to computers using XP as well as the one using W7 but info in W7 suggests that a home network must only contain systems using W7 this apears to be untrue unless I am being dim.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

"If my XP apps run apparently OK in Win 7 Ultimate why to I need to use XP MODE or is this a specific requirement in W7 home premium or W7 Professional?"

If they run OK, then there's no need to use XP Mode at all. Better without it in fact, as you don't want to add unnecessarily 'bloat' to your system.

XP Mode will only be available in Win7 Pro & above.

Also see 'Do you need more than Windows 7 Home Premium?' click here

Not sure about the LAN issue with Win7, but people who have had problems networking it with XP are usually getting some settings wrong? E.g. click here. G

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad