We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7RC1 Administrator Problem

Davith

Likes # 0

W7RC1 Installed fine. Office 2000, TurboCAD 8 both old Canon printers all appear to be recognised an work OK.

I am the only person logged on to the system therefore I am the Administrator.

Having installed Money 2005 when trying to restore backup versions of existing money files money says it need an upgrade, this is normal as there appears to have been some cockup between money 2004 and 2005 version files.(This always has occured when reinstalling Money 2005 under XP so is not a problem with W7RC1). On attempting to download the upgrade I am told that I have to log in as Administrator to have permission to use the upgrade but as said above I am the Administrator. Check of user profiles confirms this. Has anybody come across this problem?

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

I also assumed I was Admin ,as I was the only user but some actions seem to not aknowledge this .
I did the following and now I never get asked for permissions.
turn off uac.
then 1- Click Start, and type "secpol.msc" in the search area and click Enter. (You may receive a prompt from UAC, approve/login and proceed)
2- In the left list, choose "Local Policies", then "Security Options"
3- Set "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled.
4- Set "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" to Disabled.
this is for Vista originally but I have used it in WIN7 also.

good luck

Like this post
Davith

Likes # 0

Thanks for the information Merlinx. Currently I am an XP user so Iwas not fimilar with the UAC system. I turned off UAC as you suggested didn't follow your further instructions but thught I would give it a wirl and low and behold I was able to download the update without the ADMIN message. Turned UAC back on again as it appears rather important.
Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer